PDA

View Full Version : My USB card won't work

Johnny R
28-06-2003, 12:43 PM
My computer is 4 yrs old and I've purchased a USB card (from Dick Smith) to connect to my digital camera. Although the card seems to be installed OK in device manager the camera software and Microsoft "Picture It" won't recognise it.

Any ideas?

Thanks Johnny R

tweak\'e
28-06-2003, 02:23 PM
what sort of pc? what OS? cpu, chipset etc

Johnny R
28-06-2003, 07:48 PM
It's from Quay Computers. A Celeron 433 CPU. Windows 98SE. 440LX motherboard.

Hope this helps

JR

tweak\'e
28-06-2003, 07:57 PM
remove it from device manager, reboot and let it auto detect it. i've had trouble with a usb camera that did the same thing.

superOman
28-06-2003, 08:00 PM
Hi.
You say the camera software and Picture It don't recognise it. When plugged in does it show up in windows explorer as another drive (the camera)?

Johnny R
28-06-2003, 08:25 PM
I've removed it, reinstalled it and rebooted it several times. Windows 98 detects it when it is reinstalled.

The camera should auto-detect it when using the camera software (Kodak) but it doesn't.

JR

Robin S_
28-06-2003, 09:31 PM
Have you checked your BIOS? Some have an enable/disable setting for USB.

Term_X
28-06-2003, 11:38 PM
its well known..that some usb digital cameras dont work properly on a usb hub, eg my mates ricoh digi cam wouldnt work on a usb port via a pci card, but when plugged into a usb port built into the mobo.. no worries.. and the pci usb were detected by the system.. but the camera jus doesnt seem work...unless its connected via the mobo usb's.. a pc 4 years old.. doesnt it have usb ports on the mobo?.. if so.. use them..

cheers

Term X

godfather
29-06-2003, 12:06 AM
> You say the camera software and Picture It don't
> recognise it. When plugged in does it show up in
> windows explorer as another drive (the camera)?

You have not commented on the good point made above?

In my experience the camera software is often an unwanted step in the process, as most well behaved cameras will show up as a drive, and are allocated a drive letter when connected.

There is usually software available (free) other than Picture It, and some are better as well.

Johnny R
02-07-2003, 08:15 AM
Thanks for all your comments.

The camera drive doesn't show up in Windows Explorer. The USB hub shows as being present when I start up. I'm showing my ignorance here but do I get into bios by pressing delete on start up? I seem to remember doing this before but it didn't work last time I tried.

I've got a USB/parallel port adapter. Would I be able to use this to run the camera and if so, how?

JR

beama
02-07-2003, 08:35 AM
Did you install the camera software then reboot with the camera plugged in, allowing 98 to detect and install camera software. In my experience with usb devices, you install the device( in this case your camera) software then reboot allowing 98 to autodetect and then install the necessary drivers which it will find.
Also check the camera manual for software installation instructions.
Hope this helps good luck.

Johnny R
02-07-2003, 04:48 PM
Yup, done that several times. Removed the card and replaced it also. Seems to be a reasonably common problem looking at other inquiries on this site.

Can i work it using a parallel connection?

JR