PDA

View Full Version : Cut & Paste , yet again!!

Poppa John
27-06-2003, 09:01 PM
Yes I know I have asked this Q before. I never did get the hang of it. Other people can do it. My 8 & 9 yr old grandkids can do it. I have read the Dummies book & Help on this XP thing. But still no good. What am I doing wrong?? Maryann asks, Is it possible to cut a paste pictures as well as text, & from between different programmes? Say from the Net to Word, from PF1 to My Documents file, etc. Poppa John :8}

sanchez
27-06-2003, 09:38 PM
cut and paste is simple, you need to have something you want, and a place for it to go.

To cut and paste text, highlight it with your mouse, and click edit->copy, then open up word or notepad, and go edit->paste

To cut an image, right click on it and pick copy, then open up paint and click edit->paste

cant get much easier than that :)

Chris
27-06-2003, 10:13 PM
PJ Cutting or copying and pasting pictures is another kettle of fish altogether.
Put simply it will work with some programes, and it won't with others.

If you want an image that you have seen on the web, choose "save image" and use the image from whereever you save it to. Perhaps you could do a screen shot. There are only a few programs that will allow you to copy an image to the clipboard like you can with text, and then paste it to whatever.

.Chris

Poppa John
27-06-2003, 10:53 PM
Sanchez and Chris:- :) :)

Hey Hey....Maryannn here....we can do it!!! The great "cut and paste saga" is over. Thanks for the help. I'd never tried cut and paste before, but with your instructions...."easy-peasy". B-) B-)

exLL
28-06-2003, 12:54 AM
Are you aware of the difference between cut and copy?

When typing or editing a document, if you want to paste something, you highlight it first then you can either copy it, or cut it, before pasting it somewhere else.

If you copy it, the original is left unchanged.

If you cut it, it is removed completely from the original.

You would use the cut method if you wanted to delete a word or sentence entirely and replace it by pasting in a different one.

There are keyboard shortcuts as follows:

Ctr + C for copy.

Ctr + X for cut. (Think of the X as a pair of scissors)

Ctr + V for paste.

Cheers :)

exLL
28-06-2003, 01:29 AM
> You would use the cut method if you wanted to delete
> a word or sentence entirely and replace it by pasting
> in a different one.

Sorry, that was not very clear. This should make it clearer.

You would use the cut method where you want to shift a word or sentence from its current position to somewhere else, (either into the same document or into another document).

Highlight the word or sentence and press Ctr + X. That cuts it (deletes it) from its current position.

Place your cursor at the new location and press Ctr + V. That will paste it into its new location.

Hope that was clearer. :)

Maryann
28-06-2003, 09:03 AM
ExLL....thanks. Was going to check out the difference this a.m, once the "grey matter" kicks in.

Thanks again, PF1-ers.

Maryann and PJ

mark c
28-06-2003, 10:04 AM
"Copy and Paste" is the niftiest thing since sliced bread. That's how everybody (I suppose, I do anyway) puts URLS into their posts.

Say someone wants to know about 'slack files' for example and I know of a site about these that is good I go to the site, highlight the url, go back to the posting in Pressf1, put the cursor in the text field and go up to edit/paste and bingo!

Cool as can of coconuts.

(Gotta go, gotta customer)

Chris
28-06-2003, 10:11 AM
I just love the Linux-KDE thing where you highlight the text you wish to copy, and then middle click where you want it to go.

That can be a bad habit to adopt though, particually when one gets on a windows box that fails to "copy" highlighted text untill told to!

3 time in the last week, i've had to say "O that's right, i'm in windows now" for the benifit of someone looking over my shoulder.

.Chris

Jen C
28-06-2003, 11:48 AM
Hi Poppa John and Maryann :)

While on the subject on copying and pasting there is another small tip which will benefit you and those who you might email a document to with an image pasted into it.

When using Word and you want to add an image, use the Insert > Picture > From File option and browse to where you have the image saved. This is the correct way of inserting pictures etc into Word (as well as PowerPoint) as it will retain the original format of the image ie, .jpg. Using copy and paste will result in your .jpg being automatically converted into a bitmap (.bmp) and will result in a much larger file size than is necessary.

Try a little experiment ... Open a new Word document and type a couple of lines. Save it as TEST1 and then close it. Now go and look at the file size. Now open it up again and this time copy and paste an image into it. This time go File > Save As as call it TEST2. Again close it and check out the file size. Finally open up TEST1 again and this time use the Insert > Picture etc option and insert the same image as before. Save this doc as TEST3.

You will notice a huge file size difference between TEST2 (copy & paste method) and the TEST3 (insert method).

Jen

kirrie kiwi
28-06-2003, 11:50 AM
You can also highlight the text you want , then right click , now can copy and paste to your where you want.KK

twinkiewinkie
28-06-2003, 01:36 PM
AND ALSO if you want to copy a whoile page of text, just right click then click the SELECT ALL then click "PASTE" wherever you want to place the page of text. With this method, there is no need to highlight the whole page......

mark c
28-06-2003, 01:51 PM
> I go to the site, highlight the url, go back to the...

Should be highlight the url, select 'copy', go back....

Sorry, mklutzc

Poppa John
29-06-2003, 09:37 PM
With all this help, how can we miss!! B-)
Thanks everyone....once again.

PJ. & Maryann. :D :D

Susan B
30-06-2003, 10:12 AM
Hey PJ and Maryann, thought you might like a little tip about something I learnt the hard way. ;-)

If you use Cut to move something in, say, a Word document to another place be very careful to go and paste it straight away. Otherwise, if you forget or see something else along the way and decide to cut or copy that then the original cut will be lost. This is because cuts and copies are put in the Clipboard and each one is overwritten by the next so only the last cut or copy is kept there.

Windows XP and Word XP can hold multiple selections in its Clipboard and you can view/use them from Clipboard Viewer but I am not sure about Windows 98.

If you did have a little disaster you can always close a document without saving to get whatever you cut back again but it means redoing all your work if it was a long time since your last save. That's why it pays to save, save, save! ;-)

Maryann
30-06-2003, 02:51 PM
Hi Susan. Thanks for the tip.That has probably saved us a large amount of frustration. :O I do tend to use XP and "encourage" PJ to pop across the room and use 98, if there any specific computer "stuff" we're learning.

Still can't get all "My Pictures" to show up on 98, from XP even though I can now share docs, etc, after doing what you suggested with CD etc. I carefully read instructions, but it just doesn't want to let me have all the photos. Just a bit of a brain teaser!! :_| When I want to insert our photos to a letter, I just have to come over to XP and do it from here, so no problem really. Just feel it should be possible and would like to learn. Thanks again. :) Maryann and PJ

Susan B
01-07-2003, 08:35 PM
Hi again Maryann and PJ,

It is a bit of a mystery why you cannot get all "My Pictures" to show up on 98, especially if you can share other docs.

Have you tried moving the pictures out of the "My Pictures" folder to another folder you have created within a folder that is more obliging about sharing? (Does that make sense?! ie create a folder called Pics within My Documents on the Win XP PC and move your pictures into that from the "My Pictures" folder).

Alternatively you could move the pictures into the special folder called Shared Documents, which is supposed to be for this kind of purpose.

I am just suggesting these options in case Win 98 doesn't like the "My Pictures" folder for some reason. You do not have to put your pictures in there just because Win XP thinks you should. :D

If that does not work get back to us and we will have to work the old IQ a bit harder. :-)

Maryann
01-07-2003, 08:58 PM
Susan B...will have a go at your latest suggestion re "my pictures" etc....tomorrow. Very interesting. :) Just love using the digital camera...great fun. :D
PJ thinks I'm "over the top" with all the photos of autumn colours a couple of months ago, and close up of leaves...etc etc.:O Enjoy cropping, and fiddling around with photos . Took photo of neighbours rose, and cropped it back to the centre petals....all at no cost!! She loved the print
SO...if your suggestion works, that will be great as I won't have to get PJ to move off his XP when I want to work on photos. He prefers the look of PressF1 on XP, to the look of 98!! Thanks. Of course...my "tomorrow" may be in 30 minutes...who knows.;) Maryann