PDA

View Full Version : When mailto:Me just wont cut the mustard

Chilling_Silently
26-06-2003, 01:39 PM
As you probably have guess by my <table> query threads, Im making a website...

Just as a side-note, what's the best place to go for queries like this besides PressF1... is there a website somewhere? Ive been to WebMonkey and all.

Anyway, on to the question:
Ive used the <a href="mailto:me@my-domain.co.nz"> but it just doesnt cut the mustard for what I want on a certain page.

How do I create a form that will allow me to specify the following as hidden settings that the user cannot change:
Email address
Subject of the Email
And then I want an Edit Box that the user can enter their own Body of the email into.
Once that's done, they then Click on a button and are taken to a new page.

Im sure Ive seen it before, and cant remember it being overly hard...
Where to start?

Cheers

Chill.

BTW - After editing HTML for so long.. does anybody else find they start thinking in tables and hyperlinks?? ?:| :|

stu140103
26-06-2003, 01:46 PM
> As you probably have guess by my <table> query
> threads, Im making a website...
>
> Just as a side-note, what's the best place to go for
> queries like this besides PressF1... is there a
> website somewhere? Ive been to WebMonkey and all.

yep there is one I know off, but there are upgrading there website at the moment so it is not online at the moment, but when it comes backup I will e-mail you the link

stu140103
26-06-2003, 01:49 PM
> Anyway, on to the question:
> Ive used the <a href="mailto:me@my-domain.co.nz"> but
> it just doesnt cut the mustard for what I want on a
> certain page.

Dont even use mailto on any pages!!! or you will get SPAM!!! as i found out the hard way :( :_|

stu140103
26-06-2003, 01:53 PM
> How do I create a form that will allow me to specify
> the following as hidden settings that the user cannot
> change:
> Email address
> Subject of the Email
> And then I want an Edit Box that the user can enter
> their own Body of the email into.
> Once that's done, they then Click on a button and are
> taken to a new page.
>
> Im sure Ive seen it before, and cant remember it
> being overly hard...
> Where to start?

Are you using any typed of scrip eg PHP CGI to process your form???

If not & you want to use mailto in a form: have a look at this page of my website: http://stuartw.orcon.net.nz/feedback.htm & have a look at the source code.

Hope this helps

Chilling_Silently
26-06-2003, 01:58 PM
So far its ALL HTML, Pure HTML.. No Javascript/PHP/CGI/Pearl/Java/Flash/Anything else along those lines, yet its still quite nice I think :-)

-=JM=-
26-06-2003, 02:00 PM
If you're having it so that it spawns the default mail client it's pretty much down to the mail client as to whether or not you can change the email address and other specifics like that.

If you're wanting to keep everything hidden you might have to use php/asp type stuff instead.

stu140103
26-06-2003, 02:05 PM
<form action="mailto:stuartw77@hotmail.com?subject=feedback on webpages " name="Feedback on web pages seen" enctype="multipart/form-data" method="post">

First name:
<input type="text" name="First name" value="First name here">

Last name:
<input type="text" name="last name" value="Last name here">

E-mail address:
<input type="text" name="e-mail" value=" you@domain.co.nz">

Comment
<textarea name="Comment" cols="50" rows="5">Please enter your comment/feedback here...</textarea>

<input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit">
<input type="reset" name="Reset" value="Reset">
</form>

Chilling_Silently
26-06-2003, 02:18 PM
Thanks Stu, I'll give it a try, looks like the sorta thing Im after!
JM>
Im not wanting to fire up their mail-client, I want it all done In-Browser :-)

Chilling_Silently
26-06-2003, 03:04 PM
Hmm.. We're getting close here.. but that fires up the email Client..
I just want a box, like what we have here for the 'Reply' to message on PF1, and a Post Message button.. and have that sent from within the browser to the specified email address (That the user cannot change).

Hope you can get what Im after.. I think I've explained it alright?? :-)

Thanks

Chill.

sal
26-06-2003, 03:32 PM
a quick and easy way to avoid having to use mailto: where server side scripting is unaccessible to you, is to sign up with a remotely hosted script provider. a good list can be found at

HotScripts > Remotely Hosted > Form Processors (http://www.hotscripts.com/Remotely_Hosted/Form_Processors/index.html)

a hunt through that list, and you should be able to find a good solid one.

its probably sounding like a bad idea to give your email address over to some 3rd party, but its worth a shot, even if you have to give a fake one for a couple of weeks to see if any spam starts rolling in

if you dont figure it out yourself (shouldnt be too hard to figure out what this stuff is all about), ill help you out some more,

grtz sal.
tga

stu140103
26-06-2003, 03:49 PM
or I can host a PHP Form Processors scrip for you :)
I will talk to you more about it on MSN, latter on

agent
26-06-2003, 06:42 PM
Really, there is a way of doing it without server-side code, but involves opening the clients email client.

It involves many onMouseOver, onMouseOut etc javascripts to hide anything that might appear in the status bar area, specifying a name as well as an email address, if that's possible, and a new email address that forwards emails onto another account if they contain a certain subject.

Of course, the user can still access all your information there...

So sever-side is a much better method.

Yes, stu's method fires up the email client, it should be quite obvious, I've done it that way on an old website I made at the beginning of my HTML days.

Furthermore, however, I got it to the point where it created the email in the users Outbox folder, without opening their email client, and would be sent off when they next checked their emails.

Chilling_Silently
26-06-2003, 09:45 PM
Err... Yeah.. I noticed it fired up the mail client... hence the post back :-)

Im looking to see if Ihug support PHP right now.. and I'll get a script off Stu, seems easiest :-)

Unless somebody can tell me a way to do it with HTML only?

stu140103
26-06-2003, 10:27 PM
> Err... Yeah.. I noticed it fired up the mail
> client... hence the post back :-)
>
> Im looking to see if Ihug support PHP right now.. and
> I'll get a script off Stu, seems easiest :-)

I can tell you right now that Ihug does Not support PHP :( only ASP (if I rember correctly, Because the college I went to last year had they website host on there)