PDA

View Full Version : updates etc

csinclair83
26-06-2003, 10:15 AM
I have winxp home on my computer...
purchased a brand new one last august i am guessing...
and have not done any updates...only the windows updates that automatically happen when theres a update to download...but other than that i've done completely no updates....is that good or bad?..i could say i mite be the last person around who hasnt done xp sp 1 yet...
and i know theres been heaps of security patches for IE...and for office..and probably many more that i dont know of...

am i running along a invisiable line over a canyon? with all the updates i've not done?....

If I SHOULD be installing/downloading updates....can i have a list of what i should be and whats not really needed...

I'm using winxp home...office xp...msn6...IE 6.0....

mark c
26-06-2003, 10:26 AM
OK I'm just a noobie but I have bee running win98se for two years now on two comps with very little updating. At first I did thinking in a panic everything will crash if I don't, they come with this sense of urgency. After a while I just sort of half forgot/half didn't worry so much.

For a lite user going to reputable (safe) sites I really think you can avoid updatemania. I haven't said what I think is necessary because I don't really know but did used to pick out just the security updates.

If you want, say, the "latest bells and whistles" for your media palyer then go get it.

Don't panic, is what I'm saying.

HTH m:Dc

stu140103
26-06-2003, 12:00 PM
> I have winxp home on my computer...
> purchased a brand new one last august i am
> guessing...
> and have not done any updates...only the windows
> updates that automatically happen when theres a
> update to download...but other than that i've done
> completely no updates....is that good or bad?..

it depends if any of the big crucial updates where automatically download

>i could say i mite be the last person around who hasnt
> done xp sp 1 yet...
> and i know theres been heaps of security patches for
> IE...and for office..and probably many more that i
> dont know of...
>
> am i running along a invisiable line over a canyon?
> with all the updates i've not done?....
>
> If I SHOULD be installing/downloading updates....can
> i have a list of what i should be and whats not
> really needed...

Can you e-mail me at stuartw77 at hotmail dot com & I can talk you throw what updates you need etc... :)

stu140103
26-06-2003, 12:06 PM
also you can find out about win XP SP1 here: here (http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/default.asp)

csinclair83
26-06-2003, 10:00 PM
hey stu..tried emailing u twice so far today..it says no such address...
so if u wanna email me to get it working...send it to
sinclair@man dot quik dot co dot nz

stu140103
26-06-2003, 10:24 PM
> hey stu..tried emailing u twice so far today..it says
> no such address...
> so if u wanna email me to get it working...send it
> to
> sinclair@man dot quik dot co dot nz

hmmm, I think quik might be blocking hotmail or Hotmail is throwing a hiss fit :(, any way I will e-mail you tomorrow.

*Sparky*
27-06-2003, 12:25 AM
Been using a freeware program from Langalist for a couple of weeks now called "Daisy"

It configures itself to your system and only allows update downloads from Microsoft that are applicable to your system, and not everything that Microsoft throws at us. Seems to be working well.

Might be worth a look at: http://vtmig.w2k.vt.edu

Any comments from other users of Daisy appreciated too.