PDA

View Full Version : Can't print Chinese characters in Word doc

Rod J
25-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Hi all,

I have a problem that has me stumped so far. I'm using Word 2000 on Windows 98SE, HP 810C Deskjet printer. Recently I downloaded an MS Global Input Method Editor that allows me to type Chinese into Word documents (also allows other compatible programs to do this too). Anyway, I created a Word doc that has some Chinese characters in it. Looks fine on screen, but when I print it I just get odd symbol and cyrillic characters instead of the Chinese chars. I've tried checking all the settings in Word and the printer and I can't find out why it won't print in Chinese. I have several Chinese True Type fonts installed.

Thanks for any help with this.

Rod.

jackyht
25-06-2003, 09:21 PM
Hi Rod

Are u chinese? I am presumed u r... I am chinese too...

Are you using English Windows 98SE??? No you can't just print the document out in Chinese, it will definitely print out all those symbol... For my best recommendation, you can download those Chinese decorder program, turn those on, you should be able print those Chinese words out... For example Richwin, NJWIN

Hope that helps
jacky

bk T
25-06-2003, 10:55 PM
I'm using XP Pro (English ver) with Office 2000. I've no problem in printing out Chinese characters with my HP 5550 printer.

I'm not sure about Win98 SE.

Rod J
25-06-2003, 11:14 PM
Hi jacky,

No, I'm not Chinese myself, but I am about to marry a Chinese woman, hence my interest in learning Chinese (Mandarin) and printing Simplified Chinese (GB2312) characters.

Yes, I am using an English version of Win98SE. I think you are correct in saying that is why there is a problem. From what I have read, apparently there is more support in Win 2000/XP for other languages. Not much help to me, alas :(

I already have NJStar 4.3 installed which is quite good, but because it is the unregistered version it doesn't print the Chinese characters very well in larger sizes.

Thanks for the help,
Rod.

beama
25-06-2003, 11:55 PM
I don't think its the OS, from experience it maybe the printer, it may not support the font. I have had the same problem with a Hp laser and changing the model of the hp laser cured the problem from 1100 to 2100 Sorry this was the only cure for that problem I found and we were using the Microsoft IME for Office 2000

revspecies116
26-06-2003, 12:11 AM
It seems to be a printer problem, not a word problem.

Your printer may not be able to handle the fonts that word is throwing at it. I recommend you check for updated printer drivers, or see if your printer can go into 'emulation' mode.

I have a OKI 440, and to get it to print some fonts, I need to change the emulation between an IBM, HP, and Cannon type printer (via emulation). Works fine for me.

But it sounds like a printer problem you have (not physical, but driver wise)

Rev Species 116

Blue_face
26-06-2003, 12:37 AM
Hey Rod, I have printed out chinese fonts many many times, its not your printers problem(mine is only HP 610c still can do the job :))

Anyway, you must install the chinese fonts into your office 2000, goto start/programs/microsoft office tools/language settings (if i can remember correctly since i am using officeXP now) and install the font from there. Note: there is a traditional verison and simplified verison and a tawin verison, if u know chinese u know the differences but its upto you how which u want to install it.

According to memory I dont think Njstar allow you to do the job in word but in notepad, but i think a program called richwin can.