PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express settings

jaybee
24-06-2003, 09:25 AM
Have just migrated from a long association with Netscape 4.7 to Outlook Express. Have problem when posting smilies :) in email. Prefer to send messages in plain text but every time I try to include "smilie" the whole message changes to RTF. This did not happen before but cannot find anything in Options to stop it. Any help appreciated.

robo
24-06-2003, 09:45 AM
What happens if you press Ctrl-Z to undo the change in OE?
Funny thing is, my copy doesn't take any notice, leaves the :) like that and carries on, in both plain text and HTML options.
What version of OE is it? Mine is 6.
robo.

jaybee
24-06-2003, 10:12 AM
OE version is 6. Just getting to grips with changeover from Netsape - some things good, some bad.
At what point should I try the control-z ?

robo
24-06-2003, 12:10 PM
With word and other programs, if the autocorrect action changes your typing to a smiley (or whatever) you press ctrl-z immediately and it undoes the change. Not sure this will be much of a long term solution, but it might help.
robo.

Chilling_Silently
24-06-2003, 12:39 PM
Under Tools
-Options
-Send
It is ticked to send as txt only isnt it?

jaybee
24-06-2003, 01:52 PM
Yes, it's ticked as text only but changes the whole email to RTF as soon as I insert a smiley . Forgot to mention that I actually insert the smiley - (compliments of schmaili prog ) not as a text :-) smiley. However this worked OK in Netscape without the the whole text changing. It also changes if I try to change the colour etc of the black ( default ) font.

robo
24-06-2003, 01:54 PM
That's probably it, because the inserted item is a graphic so it switches to RTF to be able to handle it.
Not sure there is anything you can do, short of going back to text smileys.
robo.

godfather
24-06-2003, 02:13 PM
>It also changes if I try to change the colour etc of the black ( default ) font.

Likewise to Robo's comment above, plain text mode simply cannot carry formatting information, which includes a font colour.

While you suggest that Netscape did not act in this manner, either it stripped out the formatting when it was sent, or it sent it as HTML.

robo
24-06-2003, 02:36 PM
I'm with GF, it can't manage it as plain text unless it removes the formatting. Text is vanilla text without any decorations.
robo.

jaybee
24-06-2003, 03:07 PM
Thanks for help people. Looks like I'll be migrating to Incredimail :-)
Jim

robo
24-06-2003, 03:19 PM
Eek!
Oh please, don't. I hate message I get from incredimail users. They are too cutesy and stuck bandwidth (IMHO)
robo.

jaybee
24-06-2003, 03:38 PM
Promise I won't write to you! :D Agree with you overall and will stick with mainly plain vanilla. Thanks again for all the help. Jim

Chilling_Silently
24-06-2003, 04:19 PM
So.. You're migrating to Incredimail...

Why not just use HTML messages in OE?

jaybee
24-06-2003, 04:46 PM
Lotsa choice !