PDA

View Full Version : Jetstream

Sami
23-06-2003, 06:03 PM
Noting a press annoucement today that Jetstream is now available on our exchange, I rang Telecom. I naively believed that the $49.95 monthly fee for the Jetstream Home 500 plan would supercede the standard monthly telephone connection fee of $39 - not so it appears.

Since Jetsream uses the same copper wires, how do they justify the extra fee?

Terry Porritt
23-06-2003, 06:13 PM
:) :), forgive my little laugh, yes, you are being a little naive, Telecom are of course supplying a completely different service with Jetstream for which new equipment has to be installed in the exchanges, and separate accounts set up, even though the same wires are being used.

wotz
23-06-2003, 06:39 PM
You have paid the line rental with your phone a/c. Jetstream is another service provided over the line you have already rented.

stevee
23-06-2003, 08:50 PM
The rental on the physical line is only a portion of the $39 or so you pay to Telecom, Telstra or who ever each month. Much of the rest goes towards paying for the hundreds of millions of dollars worth of electronics connected to those lines. The hardware employed to provide JetStream is completely separate from that providing telephony, and so attracts a separate fee. This is a completely different scenario to services such as Call Waiting, which are just software built into all telephone switching equipment, and can be activated on demand. The ability of ADSL to work on the same cable pair as a telephone without mutual interference is a useful feature which keeps the overall cost down. Higher throughput commercial services such as Frame Relay do not line share and their price is much higher (for that and many other reasons).

Sami
23-06-2003, 09:28 PM
Thank you gentlemen. All rather as I suspected, but it makes it rather expensive and difficult for me to justify.