PDA

View Full Version : "Hacking" Hotmail Accounts

somebody
23-06-2003, 05:08 PM
I know a few people going around bragging that they know how to hack into people's Hotmail account. It doesn't sound possible, but does anyone know if people have actually done it?

I am in no way supporting his claims, as I believe that any form of illegal access to people's personal property is morally incorrect (and highly illegal).

Pheonix
23-06-2003, 05:36 PM
Easily done in the past and was publicised on the web. Microsoft has patched many holes and I don't know if it is still possible. Mind you, anything is possible out there in Internet Land.
People who brag about such things are "people with a little knowledge" and are usually the ones that are destructive to others and themselves. They happily "hack" and leave a trail a moron could follow back to them. So now it is illegal in NZ, barring government departments, (true) ,they could be in for a shock.

agent
23-06-2003, 07:33 PM
Well then, get your friends to try and hack snotty_grotty@hotmail.com - a "throw-away" account used for those sign ups where an email address is required and you don't feel like the possibility of spam in your personal address.

CC made it, but I can use it for all he cares, etc etc.

Most methods of hacking Hotmail are old, and have been patched.

Mind you, it doesn't take a lamer to replicate the site, set up a web server, and modify the HOSTS file in Windows (or similar under other OS) to look for, for example, www.hotmail.com at http://www13.brinkster.com/myhotmailpasswordcatcherripoff.

cyberchuck
23-06-2003, 08:27 PM
That should be grotty_snotty@hotmail.com
It is a throw away account, and several people do use it for online forms where they don't want to give away their own email address (can't blame them really considering some nice people have been now showing me more unusual places in the body where computer peripherals can go)...
The password is one of the top 10 administrator passwords and isn't "god" or "sex"...
Another hint is that it is all numerical...
Shouldn't take too long from there ;)

Just a little disclaimer for it though - I don't monitor it as it is a throw away account, and therefore I have no idea what is currently in it. I'm not interested what get's sent to it, but it's use is for Online Forms.

CyberChuck

DangerousDave
23-06-2003, 10:11 PM
hi,
I wouldn't bother aye, i mean unless your trying to check that your girlfriend/bf ain't cheating on you. I mean theres always the secret question. Unless you wanna do some ultra 1337 hax0ring with telnet thru the m$ servers. But all i can say with that is *good luck*

- David

mikebartnz
24-06-2003, 01:31 AM
I want to stress here that Hacking is perfectly legal Cracking is definitely not.

neptune
24-06-2003, 02:29 AM
Hacking hotmail was quite easy awhile ago.
It is still possible to hack into one and there are few methods of doing it.

Just do search on Astalavista and it will pop up with tons of ways.
Only thing is by the time you get to a method its already sealed up by MSN or is just a hoax.

Dont fall for one of those asking you to put victims e-mail add in subject line and then your e-mail add and password in the 1st 2nd line of the body of e-mail and then send it away to a hotmail Add. It basically gives other hackers who have setup that address to access your account!

I tried one ages ago and it did work. But i havent tried since then
as that method doesnt work anymore

-=JM=-
24-06-2003, 08:26 AM
> I want to stress here that Hacking is
> perfectly legal Cracking is definitely not.

You might like to point on what definitions you're basing this on as the definition is always a grey area now with the media inclined to use the hacking to mean anything relating a computer it would seem now a days.

somebody
24-06-2003, 08:54 AM
The definition is very argueable, and has probably been debated in this forum several times.

Hacking still seems to be the generally accepted and known term at this stage, which is why I prefer to use it opposed to using the word "cracking".

yingxuan
24-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Well im not sure this is hacking but once u logged onto your hotmail account.A friend could secret copy the link at the top and paste it somewhere and send it to his email account and then they can access your account with a password just simply copy and paste the link into the address bar at ie or netscape.
Opps i shouldn't have said that.!!

Iain Walmsley
24-06-2003, 01:54 PM
When most people say they can "hack" Hotmail accounts, most of the time all they then do is run a brute force application to start at the beggining and attempt to guess the password.

As most brute force hackers are dictionary based, if the account has a non-standard password, then its gonna waste a whole lot of time with no results.

At the end of the day, why would you WANT to gain access to someone elses hotmail account? I would be extremely surprised if anyone keeps confidential emails stored on the hotmail server....

Iain

segfault
24-06-2003, 09:49 PM
It may be "generally accepted" yes, but that does not mean it is correct. It is well known in the Open Source community that a "cracker" is according to Eric Raymond - " One who breaks security on a system" while a hacker is "A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary."

Remember, you crack a safe, you don't hack it :)

mikebartnz
24-06-2003, 10:51 PM
More or less the same as the difference between GE and GM. GM is genetic modification which I am from my parents whereas GE is genetic engineering which is the actual manipulation of the genes involved.

mikebartnz
24-06-2003, 10:54 PM
But you did not disclose how you were using it.
Hacking is working with code where as Cracking is trying to break code.

somebody
25-06-2003, 05:44 PM
I accept that "cracker" is the more appropriate definition as defined by the open-source community, due to the circumstances in which the term "hacker" is used to describe certain activities.

HOWEVER... people in the open source community who "enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary." only make up a very small portion of all the computer users in the world. The generally accepted term by a majority(not all) of computer users, and a majority of non-computer users is "hacking".

There are various arguements from both sides of what definition is correct, what word is correct, and in what context they should be used. I am simply using a commonly used, accepted, and understanded term.

Note: I do not intend to start a flame war, or be the at the receiving end of one.

agent
25-06-2003, 06:29 PM
I'd just like to point out that when SCO unveiled their whole Linux intellectual property violation fiasco, the response from some childish Linux users were attempts to hack (or should that be crack?) SCO's website, and presumably post a fake notice of withdrawl for the one billion dollar lawsuit.

Linux is, after all, based on Unix, and is more hacker/cracker friendly (what with all the tools available).

cyberchuck
25-06-2003, 07:14 PM
Hey
That won't work. MSN aren't stupid, and will therefore use sessions with Hotmail to stop users doing that. Why do you think that you can't have 2 accounts logged on at the same time with IE?

CyberChuck

stu140103
25-06-2003, 10:01 PM
>Why do you think that you can't have 2
> accounts logged on at the same time with IE?

Sorry but you can do that, I did it before, copy of weeks back ( donít ask me how I did it but it worked).

mikebartnz
26-06-2003, 01:15 AM
I would be very intrigued to know why Linux is more cracker friendly as it is Windows that seems to suffer from this problem more than linux. More FUD

Marshell
26-06-2003, 08:55 AM
If anyone is really interested the best secure free web base e-mail is
http://www.hushmail.com/
Only catch is their free service only has a 2 Mb mail limit.
All comms with Hushmail are done with 128bit encryption

As for Linux been more hacker friendly it has a lot to do with the software available, if your interested search on the web you'll soon see a whole lot of stuff that can only run on linux.

Iain Walmsley
26-06-2003, 09:42 AM
By cracker friendly, I think it is meant better to crack from than more popular for attempting to crack machines that are running...

Linux gives the user much more control over kernel and administrative settings enabling the user huge amounts of power in comparison to that which Microsoft entrusts to the user.

Iain

agent
26-06-2003, 07:06 PM
Precisely what I meant, Iain.

It's very hard for me to see just how mikebartnz interpretted that I meant Linux was more prone to cracking... the term "cracker-friendly" usually means that something or someone is friendly to those who are described in the first part. In this case, that is crackers.

If I had meant Linux was more prone to being cracked, I would have said "cracker-prone".