PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Problems !!

Techno
18-06-2003, 08:28 PM
:_| My monitor won't work
I start the computer normaly and windows starts booting then a window pops up saying " Monitor Resolution Out Of Range ##### "
So I have tried the obvious steps checking books etc
I am running Win XP and have tried getting into safe mode by pressing F8 at start-up but all that happens is that a box saying "select boot device" the options are Floppy, IDE/0, CDROM I have tried selecting IDE but it comes up with the same error ?:|
Any Suggestions ?
Thanks
Tomo

Billy T
19-06-2003, 01:02 AM
Doesn't sound like a monitor problem to me, it is more like you have no video drivers. Not being able to get into safe mode is a worry, but I don't have XP so I can't comment.

Can you get into BIOS for starters?

Maybe somebody will pick this up in the morning and get you started.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

godfather
19-06-2003, 01:07 AM
At a guess I would say your PC is failing to boot up correctly, as failure to load the video drivers correctly could give this error, which does not come from your PC but from the monitor itself (when it is driven beyond the range it can accept).

Safe mode and IDE(0) should boot. The fact it doesn't suggests a serious error but unlikely a problem with the monitor. Suspect the PC itself, or a serious file corruption problem.

My screens also report this briefly as the PC boots, as the default refresh rate of the video cards exceed the monitor range (LCD Monitors). Then the Windows drivers kick in and all is well.

PoWa
19-06-2003, 01:58 AM
Screw that videocard plug into the tower properly, and check that the power cord for the monitor is plugged in well.

Best place to start :)

godfather
19-06-2003, 02:37 AM
The video card is obviously plugged in, as is the monitor or he would not see the boot sequence after pressing F8.

At that stage the BIOS will be dishing out a basic video resolution for the card.
Seems that as soon as Windows tries to run it goes AWOL, and in safe mode that should not happen.

Pay to check the monitor settings I guess, we don't know what sort of monitor it is.