PDA

View Full Version : New Help Website http://www.pressf1.tk

David Manning
18-06-2003, 04:10 PM
a new community has been setup for people just like you at http://www.pressf1.tk/

-=JM=-
18-06-2003, 04:54 PM
Ummm, what is the point?

stu140103
18-06-2003, 05:04 PM
> Ummm, what is the point?

I have to agree with -=JM=- here

superOman
18-06-2003, 05:10 PM
I think the point is it is new, has got no replies, no one knows about it. Trying to drum up some support. I reckon probably someone who has posted on this forum has tried to make their own, copying the pressf1 name. Often you can get .tk names for free.

Frankly i think it will fail

It will never beat the NZ PF1

Pheonix
18-06-2003, 05:13 PM
Here Here :D :D

superOman
18-06-2003, 05:14 PM
ps. To me it looks like the creator has placed all the queries. All the same type of language, no capitals, missing letters etc

cyberchuck
18-06-2003, 05:15 PM
Hey
Be wary of where you step - although IDG might not claim the copyright on the name PressF1, you may upset them if you take too many images or try to replicate them.
I do see that you have no moderators (as in it says "Moderators: None")- not really a good sign for a forum of any sorts. There should be a few trusted mods around to keep their eyes on things and solve any major conflicts of opinions.
Furthermore, of the few posts that I randomly decided to read, there is not enough detail in them. An example of this:
Post Title: "would i be able to be a mod for this forum because it rocks!"
While an interesting post nonetheless, it's not really PC Based... Also, you may get the problem that if one person want's a mod status and you give it to them, others will end up expecting the same, and you will therefore end up with a forum fulled with mods.

There is already an unofficial F1 Network Established from PressF1 by users that have generously donated services to other users:
ChatF1 (http://www.chatf1.net.nz) - PressF1 Chatroom
ImageF1 (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1) - PressF1 Image Uploader

CyberChuck

cyberchuck
18-06-2003, 06:12 PM
Just another moan on my part:
The signup policies are a bit stupid aren't they?

> While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to
> remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as
> possible, it is impossible to review every message. Therefore you
> acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and
> opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or
> webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held
> liable.
What objectionable material do you get on a PC Help Forum? Spam Messages maybe, and you might get 2 conflicting views about things, but that's it!

> You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful,
> threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate
> any applicable laws.
That's general courtesy to others really, and when it comes to the internet "applicible laws" aren't really that great. For example, if I were to upset someone on the forum with malicious content would I be subject to New Zealand law (which is where I live), American Law (which is where your server is located), or Tokelaun Law (which is where the domain comes from)??

> Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned
> (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is
> recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the
> webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to
> remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit.
I see someone has already taken advantage of that in the modems thread... However IP Logging could be considered an invasion of privacy - be like you going to Eden Park to watch a rugby game, and then they follow you home then say that they might tell your landlord if you upset the admins.

> As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being
> stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any
> third party without your consent the webmaster, administrator and
> moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may
> lead to the data being compromised.
True, but you can encrypt the database, put a password on it, and make it generally harder to "compromise". After all, you do hold peoples personal information (MSN user accounts, ICQ numbers, Yahoo Address, IP Addresses, Passwords, etc).

While PF1 doesn't have an "official" policy (to my knowledge), most people have enough brains to know that they have to respect others, and in return they get respect returned back to them.

CyberChuck

agent
19-06-2003, 05:47 PM
Uh, did anyone even notice it was just displaying something like www.helpwithpcs.com ???

Furthermore, I didn't even see where the forum was - yet alone any images that looked remotely like they were taken from PressF1.

cyberchuck
19-06-2003, 07:56 PM
One is assuming that you did not read the title - "PressF1 has now closed"

Biggles
19-06-2003, 09:33 PM
Interesting, in that we didn't do anything. So I wonder why it was shut down so rapidly? Wasn't me guvnor, honest.

Thomas
19-06-2003, 10:31 PM
Wonder how well it would work if it wasn't shut down,works so well shut down.
Noticed how some people can say so little with so many words.

Southern_Man
19-06-2003, 11:35 PM
Its probably run by a disinchanted former PressF1 regular

Thomas
19-06-2003, 11:46 PM
>

>Its probably run by a disinchanted former PressF1 regular

The audacious cad.

David Manning
20-06-2003, 09:17 AM
The reason i closed down the website is because i need further confirmation from PCWorld if i am able to use their name "PressF1", i wont be using any images but the concept is the same, a PC Help forum like this. Oh and its an American based website.

Biggles
20-06-2003, 10:28 AM
Well, would have been nice to ask. Would have been nice to fill out a real email address in your profile so that you could be contacted instead of putting a fake IDG address.

We would quite obviously prefer you not to use the title PressF1, since we have a well established use of that name with both this forum and the column in our magazine for over a decade.

Thomas
20-06-2003, 11:19 AM
Certainly seems a bit Mickey Mouse!

David Manning
20-06-2003, 06:23 PM
Ok, your right i shouldn't use that name, but i am still stuck on a very good name, as good as PressF1 :) so is there anyone that can help me out with a good name?

Thomas
20-06-2003, 06:46 PM
I'l start the ball rolloing with some bad one's,not good at this.

Help.com.
PressH for help.
HelpLine.
ProbSolv.

wuppo
20-06-2003, 07:08 PM
"helpwithpcs mirror" sounds appropiate :|

Iain Walmsley
20-06-2003, 10:32 PM
If it is a serious effort at a help forum... Tokelau is probably not the best country to register it in... I might be out of the loop... but if I was trying to find technological help... a tokelau address WOULDNT be one of the first places I would look...

Iain

metla
20-06-2003, 10:40 PM
call it press f2...

....................HA

.................................................. ...never mind.....

-=JM=-
20-06-2003, 11:10 PM
Well the whole idea of the .tk domain is seen when you go to http://www.dot.tk they're free, well most of them are.

David Manning
22-06-2003, 06:31 PM
Ok ive finally got a good name for it hopefully its good and people like it.
The new website is http://www.yourpc.tk i haven't updated much of it to the new name like the title but i am working on it and getting it working good.

thanks

Thomas
22-06-2003, 07:01 PM
I am sure you have been overwhelmed with the generosity of spirit.