PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Repairs

Lohsing
18-06-2003, 11:34 AM
Hi all, currently have a few Microsoft Natural keyboards which have one or 2 keys which don't work. I was wondering if they were worth repairing or not given they cost $90 when first bought I think?

Any ideas on who to take them to in Auckland, and whether it is worth it or not?

Cheers,

Lo.

stu140103
18-06-2003, 11:52 AM
> Hi all, currently have a few Microsoft Natural
> keyboards which have one or 2 keys which don't work.
> I was wondering if they were worth repairing or not
> given they cost $90 when first bought I think?
>
> Any ideas on who to take them to in Auckland, and
> whether it is worth it or not?

Nope. It is Not worth it, you can get a new keyboard cheaply....

Hope this helps :)

Tobas
18-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Well worth it. It would take around 30 minutes to strip a keyboard and clean out all of the junk that falls between the keys.

Because not all keys are not working, it indicates the problem is dirt as apposed to faulty electronics.

Your keyboards will contain 18 small screws on the back. Unplug the keyboard, turn it upside down, remove the screws and take the back off.

Carefully remove the membrane to expose the circuit board, using a soft cloth clean the board, at this point you can actually take the circuit board right out, just remember which way round it goes. Under no circumstances take the actual keys out, unless you have another keyboard to show you which key goes where when you want to put the keys back in.

Mechanically, keyboards are the most simple parts of any computer. providing you are carefull - you just cannot go wrong.

Go for it - you have nothing to loose. :-)

Graham L
18-06-2003, 03:09 PM
Well, these are computer parts ... you can go wrong. :D

But with non-working keys, they don't work. So you can't make it worse.

It's certainly not economic to "take them to someone" and pay them to repair them, but have a go yourself.

Many years ago I repaired a keyboard which the cat had peed on. I had to dismantle the individual switches, and stop the corrosion. But that keyboard cost about $60 about 1980, so the inflation-adjusted price would be quite high. I spoke sternly to the cat too. ;-)