PDA

View Full Version : 2 Computers, 2 Games, 1 ADSL connection.

sam m
17-06-2003, 07:01 PM
Hi,
Just doing some prep work on how this would work.
My friend is going to buy a new computer and he is keen to network with my adsl connection to go gaming online. I said "sure no problem" as I assume it can be done.

I am now thinking about how this will work. ?:|

I have Nokia ni500 on Xtra jetstart. We will both have a copy of the game MOHAA. My question is how can we both play as individuals on a game server when we are only going through one internet connection and therefore one IP? Is this actually possible? I have some idea how to connect the computers via hub (not yet tried but someone did kind of explained it to me) but how can 2 go into 1 and come out as 2?

Thanks
Sam

Mike
17-06-2003, 07:54 PM
I'm guessing that game servers require accounts for connecting rather than IPs. That'd be how a group of people can connect to internet gaming individually at an internet cafe - it'd work the same way as you're wanting to do at home.

Mike.

sam m
17-06-2003, 08:14 PM
> I'm guessing that game servers require accounts for
> connecting rather than IPs.

thanks mike,
that makes sense

sam m

Icarus
17-06-2003, 10:00 PM
I did this with a mate on 2 xp machines and my jetstart account. I used the wizard for home networking and internet connection sharing and it worked fine. As long as you have legit game keys you should be able to easily set it up. ;)

PoWa
17-06-2003, 10:42 PM
I think that the servers don't limit how many connections are coming from a single IP address, otherwise only one person would be able to play at a time at a Cafe etc.

Each player will be identified by a GUID, (unique machine identification no.) or by their username. Places like WON.net just identify the players by username which transforms that into a won. id.

Me and my brother can play happily with the same IP address, in the same server, in lots of games. You just have to make sure you both have valid, different cd keys.