PDA

View Full Version : external cd writer for iMac

Pollly
15-06-2003, 06:17 AM
Hi guys

I wonder if I could pick somebodyís brains? I have a iMac (G3) and I run on system MacOs9.1. I have been making enquiries at my local computer store about adding on an external cd writer and have been quoted on two brands.

Freecom Traveller
and
Plextor 48x24x48 (usb.2)

I have read that the Plextor reads and writes discs at 48-speed and rewrites at 24-speed (whatever that is...), but you need a USB 2 port to achieve those figures (which I donít have) Seeing as my USB port is the 1.1 sort my question is, will the speed that I do get be so slow that it will drive me bonkers or will it be so insignificant that it wonít matter. I should add that I already have a usb hub and I am not likely to need high speed writing for any particular reason.

With regard to the Freecom. It does not come with a cable and I would have to buy that separate, bringing the price approx the same as the Plextor. I only want an external as opposed to internal because I canít build one in, and not because I need it to be mobile. My main use for it will be to make data backups etc.

Any comments or advice would be much appreciated :)

Susan B
15-06-2003, 10:52 AM
Hi Polly :-)

Bad news for you I'm afraid - it is unlikely that you will be able to run the Plextor USB 2 writer on your USB 1.1. My boss at work bought an external USB 2 writer recently and it would not work on the three-month old computer. It turned out that the USB port was only USB 1, not 2 and nothing would make it write CDs, even at snail pace. :-(

I would suggest that you backup your data to one (or both) of the other computers on your network and save your money until you get that planned PC. That would be just as good as backing up to a second hard drive on your own machine but you will not be able to store your data offsite like you can with CDs.

Just thinking, do any of the other PCs have a writer? If so, you could transfer your data to it over the network and burn it onto a CD that way. If they don't have one but do have room for an internal you could put in a writer temporarily and then transfer it over to your new PC later. Just an idea. :-)

Jim B
15-06-2003, 10:55 AM
Some comment here (http://www.appletechs.com/archives/00000058.html) you might find useful

Pollly
15-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Thanks Susan, but our computers are not networked. I was only quoted those two writers from that one local shop. I reckon there must be others on the market which I could connect to my USB 1.1 port, so I guess I'll just have to look around a bit further.

Southern_Man
15-06-2003, 01:59 PM
What do you want to backup.

Pollly
15-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Everything basically.

I am a translator and I think it would look more professsional if I were to be able to provide my clients with their original text plus translation on disc in simpletext form instead of merely e.mailing it. I would also like to be able to do the same with my administration, at the moment I am surrounded by reams of paper print outs. :(

Shortstop
15-06-2003, 10:27 PM
I don't know whether it's different for a Mac than a PC, but........ I have an Imation USB 2.0 External CD burner for a laptop which has only 1.1 USB ports. Has performed faultlessly but obviously not as fast. If outright speed is not important to you, there should be bo problem.