PDA

View Full Version : Bootmagic 7 & Linux

hamstar
14-06-2003, 02:26 PM
I recently reinstalled Win98SE and it overided the Mandrake Linux Bootloader which I knew would happen. I don't like that thing, it won't let me configure it. So I installed Bootmagic 7. It found the Win9x partition but it couldn't find the Linux one. I clicked advanced in the add action and used the extended primary partition. But after the boot sequence I click on linux in Bootmagic and it says Preparing to load "Linux" and stops.

Anyone know whats wrong.

Cheers.

Graeme
14-06-2003, 03:37 PM
I don't know anything about bootmagic but the Mandrake 9.1 and 9.0 bootloader work ok for me.

I like to have a boot floppy for both windows and Linux in case something goes wrong. The mandrake system configuration GUI thing allows you to set up the boot options to boot whichever default OS you like, so to fix up after installing a new Win OS, you can boot into Linux using the floppy or a CDROM - e.g. Mandrake 9.1 CDROM is bootable plus it has these instructions on how to make a boot floppy ...

insert the CDROM, then open the icon "My Computer", right click on the CDROM drive icon and select "Open"
go into the "dosutils" directory and double-click on the "rawwritewin" icon
insert a blank floppy in the floppy drive
select "D:\images\cdrom.img" in the "Image File" field (assuming that your CDROM drive is "D:", otherwise replace "D:" as needed)
select "A:" in the "Floppy Drive" field then click on "Write".

On my PC, you can select in the BIOS whether it should check the floppy drive or CDROM drive for booting from.

Graeme

bmason
14-06-2003, 03:42 PM
I'm not familiar with the software, but my guess is it doesn't support newer linux partitions.

You can restore the mandrake boot loader by booting off the mandrake cd, and choosing rescue. It will then give a menu which a restore bootloader option.