PDA

View Full Version : removing individual addresses from IE drop-down menu

colmack
14-06-2003, 12:31 PM
I do not want to clear ALL the addresses, only some individual ones. I have often read that you select the one you want to remove and press delete, but this never works for me. Am I doing something wrong? This has been bugging me for years.

hamstar
14-06-2003, 02:18 PM
You need to go into the formidable depths of the registry.

Go to Run and type in regedit

Follow the folder list to here

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs]

Then simply delete the ones that you don't want displayed.

This is regarding that you are using IE.

tommy
14-06-2003, 02:36 PM
I have had the same problem. The fix for me was to create a folder in Favorites and save those addresses (links) to that folder then give IE a good clean out by deleting History, Temp Internet Files, Auto-Complete and also the index.dat files. IE then ran like a bullet train without the excess baggage. I realise that it is not quite what you are after but at least you do not lose the addresses you wish to keep when doing a tidy up.

agent
14-06-2003, 09:19 PM
Removing them in the registry, however, isn't failsafe.

I've done that and still had URLs shown in IE...

*Sparky*
15-06-2003, 04:22 AM
I have a similar problem. I give the puter a good clean every week including IE history etc. No probs. I dont mind losing all my drop down addresses.

However, I would like to be able to clear defunct names from the dropdown list on MSN Messenger. Over the last couple of years, every Tom, Dick and Harry has used my computer to chat or check their hotmail. Theres about 24 names in the dropdown now. How do I get rid of those?

Help ...

Jester
15-06-2003, 11:14 PM
Do you use XP, Sparky?

If so, here is how I clear out the addy's in messenger.

Click Start / Help and Support.

Type in 'delete stored user names' in the search box.

Click on the resulting task that will appear under 'Pick a Task'

Click on the link that shows to the right and follow your way from there

.... you can click on the Favorites star up the top and save this page to favorites, too ;)

J.
:D

ManilaF
15-06-2003, 11:15 PM
You might want to try this freeware which you can download from
http://www.webattack.com/get/editurl.shtml

The program is called EditUrls.

Hope this helps.

Jester
15-06-2003, 11:16 PM
ps

by "save this page" I don't mean this page, but the Delete stored usernames help page.

*Sparky*
16-06-2003, 12:21 AM
Sorry ManilaF. Tried that EditUrl but couldnt see how to delete the users from messenger.

Jester. Am running XP Pro, but when I go to Help and Support and type "delete stored user names" all I get as a result is "Glossary" which shows everything available in the way of tasks to perform. Couldnt find anything relevant to deleteing user names.

*Sparky*
16-06-2003, 12:25 AM
Howdy hamster,
I dont suppose you know how to edit the registry to delete defunct user names in Messenger?

Jester
16-06-2003, 12:42 AM
This is what I get when I type it in as a search (using XP Pro, too)

Suggested TopicsFull-text Search MatchesMicrosoft Knowledge Base
Suggested Topics (1 results)

Pick a task

Delete stored user names and passwords

To delete stored user names and passwords

Open Stored User Names and Passwords.

Click the desired entry, then click Remove.

Note

To open User Accounts, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click User Accounts. If your computer is joined to a domain, click the Advanced tab, then click Manage Passwords. If your computer is not joined to a domain, click your account name and then, in Related Tasks box, click Manage my network passwords.
You must be logged on as a computer administrator to complete this procedure.

I don't know whether that's any help....

*Sparky*
16-06-2003, 12:51 AM
:)
Thanks Jester. Worked a treat. All I did was:

If your computer is not joined to a domain, click your account name and then, in Related Tasks box, click Manage my network passwords.

and bingo. There were all the passport login names.

Thanks again. :)

Jester
16-06-2003, 12:59 AM
It's nice to hear when something you suggest has some merit :D