PDA

View Full Version : advice on CD writers please?

cheqmaster
11-06-2003, 06:50 PM
Hey team,
I find myself needing to replace my clapped out CD RW drive. I have no idea who make good quality drives... any advice?

There are 2 good looking (cheap) ones, Benq and Samsung, does cheap=crap in this department?

Archibald
11-06-2003, 07:05 PM
I may be bias here but me/I would'nt buy BTC, Benq I don't like samsung anything but have mates who have Samsung CDRW drives and reckon they are great.
I would stick to LiteOn, Asus, Sony, Aopen etc. Plextor if you have loads of cash.

Pheonix
11-06-2003, 07:09 PM
Stay away from Cyber drive. Otherwise, all are reasonable, but everyone seems to have their own preferences. For general use, just about anything will do. For those tricky backup jobs with protection, that may require a little more investigation and brand specific.

J ZEP
11-06-2003, 09:57 PM
> Stay away from Cyber drive.
> For general use, just about anything will do.

Pheonix, I was just wondering if you could elaborate on what specifically is wrong with Cyber Drive? As i was looking at one in the latest DSE mailout, ($139 sale price for 52x??) and was thinking of getting one, possibly, for my mums computer.
So I would be interested in feedback on any quirks this brand/model may have.
Thanks

PeebZ
11-06-2003, 10:14 PM
Hi,

CD-Writers are not all the same,

If you are looking backing up your games/music cds with the approicate software then Lite-ons, Asus or the newly released plextor premium are the way to go.
I say this as they are pretty much able to read andwrite all the behind the scenes data correctly.

It was asked whats wrong with the cyber Drive ?
1) Browse over to CloneCds (http://www.elby.ch/en/products/clone_cd/writers/c.html#cyberdrive) Cdwriter breakdown and you will see.
2) The price. For the Same price or lower (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_9.html#g21)Same price or lower you can get an Lite-on or Asus which are rated very high in the CDFreaks Community.

HTH
Jess

Lohsing
11-06-2003, 10:46 PM
No Benq's or Cyberdrives... the cost is just ridiculous... for an Asus 52X writer, I could get a brand new one for $99 + GST...

Benq's are nasty re-badged Acer drives with a shocking record... Stick with Asus, Lite-On primarily... very reliable and sound with excellent reviews on both.

Lo.

Pheonix
12-06-2003, 01:52 PM
Hi j zep,
I have installed 3 of these for people. One failed completely another is great at intermittant coasters and third is OK. They are constructed badly and just listening to the drawer "grinding" out makes me shiver. After all that, they do have a gaurantee , but it is the hassle of putting it in, taking it out, putting it in etc... and the your friends/relations/customer beginning to doubt your skills. Like Loshing says, the price difference is small to get a better quality one.

The Student
14-06-2003, 07:59 AM
Hi,

I may have to dispute this slightly. I do find that cyberdrives are great, only with the reason that I have only tried one. As for the other users who have used other labled brands, I can not really afford another one at this time to make a very good comparative result.

> Hi j zep,
> I have installed 3 of these for people. One failed
> completely another is great at intermittant coasters
> and third is OK.

Well possibly it is your bad luck. I have installed it on my own machine and on another family members. So far, I haven't yet seen or experienced any bad problems yet.

The instructions were very clear, but in terms of construction, I'm perplexed as to why that this is a concern?

Although there is one major problem I have encountered using this device, is that the writing speed of 48X can cause mishaps when trying to write audio on to a cd. As for other formats, I have not yet encountered yet.

Overall, I suggest that the writing speed is more important than the rest.

Chilling_Silently
14-06-2003, 09:24 AM
Somebody said that Samsung drives were good?

http://210.55.219.80/qmb/showdetail.asp?productID=2137

Not bad for under a hundred bucks!

Muzzer
14-06-2003, 01:37 PM
Nothing wrong with my Samsung 40x12x40.

Cheers Murray P

PoWa
14-06-2003, 02:11 PM
Yes go to the clone cd website, mentioned above.

Check that the writer you want to buy has 2 coloured sheep icons in the Buffer-underrun technology, and correct EFM encoding columns.

That basically means that cd-writer kicks ass :) If you can't see your writer brand, click on the links on the left of the page.