PDA

View Full Version : I miss my CD Drives *sob*

Brendonny
10-06-2003, 08:12 PM
Hi,

As the title of this post says I miss my CD Drives. One is a CDR drive and the other my CD-ROM Drive. I noticed that they were missing on Sunday night.

Normally when I boot up my computer it shows up the drives when first booting in the BIOS (before windows 98 loads up). Now I've tried everything I can think of trying in windows to fix this problem but I can't fix it. I know nothing about the BIOS.
I thought I'd actually see if the BIOS is recognising the CD drives so I thought I'd stick in the PC World CD with Knoppix Linux in it so see if it would read it. It wouldn't.

Does anyone have any suggestions because I'm beginning to miss my CD drives and I need to copy some files to my drive.

Brendan

Mike
10-06-2003, 08:16 PM
B,

Have you had your computer case open at any stage recently? You may have knocked the plug to the CD Drives out of the motherboard...

Mike.

Brendonny
10-06-2003, 08:19 PM
I haven't opened it recently. I wouldn't dare open the case open and touch anything. I'm scared I'd stuff something up. I'm pretty advanced and can fix most problems but this nope.

Brendan

simonc
10-06-2003, 10:04 PM
I had a similar prob...

If the first CD drive has a problem, then the second will not come up in explorer etc, as it is a slave and is not getting a "go" command from the master...
Try placing the cable from the first CD into the second and rebooting. If the second CD comes up then the first is ...er...broken.

First, unplug the computer from the mains!...most important!
Then take off the cover and move the thin long plug from the top CD to the bottom CD and reboot.

You may also have to change the second CD to a master using the jumpers on the CD body.

Hope this helps...