PDA

View Full Version : Using the PF1 search function..........Refinements?

Billy T
10-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Hi Team

I've been thinking......... The PF1 help file does not give any indication of how the search function is set up, and I was wondering if it provides boolean search refinements similar to those we use for internet searches such as "xxxxxxxx yyyyyyy" + or AND, - or NOT etc. My attempts to refine searches kinda indicate that if boolean functions are present, they don't work very well, if at all.

If they are there, it might be a good idea to include that info in the help file, along with instructions on how to get the best out of them.

I also note that it pulls up all of the individual posts in a thread according to the search term. This means that you get a lot of separate and duplicated responses, consequently it can take a hell of a long time to work through a list of returns.

IMHO it might be a good idea if it could be configured (or provide the option) to just provide links to each thread that contains the search terms, instead of every post. Then we could scroll very quickly down the list of posts instead of calling up each one individually.

It is slow enough researching for information on Jetstream but it must be an absolute nightmare on dial up.

It would also be helpful if it broke down the response statistic into the number of threads as well as the number of posts.

Of course it may already be possible to do these things, in which case I expect I will soon hear how to do them :8}, but I have not really been able to refine searches effectively and I got the feeling I was trying to use a function that wasn't actually there. I quite often search for an answer before posting a question (natural desire to not look too thick :D) but it does cost a lot of time.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

Mike
10-06-2003, 10:22 AM
Ditto. :)

Mike.

-=JM=-
10-06-2003, 10:54 AM
Yeah it certainly isn't the best that it could be. Though it is better than it used to be in the old system.

Robbie O
10-06-2003, 09:30 PM
Bare with a nooby plse, but what is boolean?

Robbie

-=JM=-
10-06-2003, 09:58 PM
> Bare with a nooby plse, but what is boolean?
>
> Robbie

To quote Billy:
boolean search refinements similar to those we use for internet searches such as "xxxxxxxx yyyyyyy" + or AND, - or NOT etc.

An example is when searching for a "cookie" in google. You may want to search for "cookie not computer" as it will look for documents which contain "cookie" and don't contain "computer" so you're more likely to find information on biscuits.

Scouse
10-06-2003, 10:55 PM
Robbie O Have a quick shufty here...
http://library.albany.edu/internet/boolean.html

Billy T
12-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Bump :D

I guess Bruce & robo must be busy. Anybody else know the boolean status of PF1 search?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

robo
12-06-2003, 07:48 PM
I'll try to check with Bruce tomorrow.

Billy T
12-06-2003, 10:27 PM
Thanks robo, you returned from Hyperspace just in time.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D
[pre][b]Did you know that your location is shown on your post
as Hyperspace, but when I click reply and scroll down you have
passed through a wormhole and appear instantaneously in
Auckland, New Zealand? You are one fast moving dude!