PDA

View Full Version : Telecom, Kiss my Rear End!

JamesStewart
10-06-2003, 12:24 AM
God damn Telecom. This bloody company can't do ANYTHING right! IS it just me or do they have problem after problem and don't get any where??? I am getting pings of 400 (on Jet Start) using Xtra and they are saying that Telecom know there is a problem but can't find it and cant fix it! WTF is up with this. I am PAYING for high-speed internet but no getting it!!!!

Billy T
10-06-2003, 12:36 AM
Are you 100% sure it is not your end? ADSL is not impressed by poor wiring such as the old 3 wire system and Telecom's specs for ADSL specifically exclude 3 wire. The older the cabling the slower the results, and you really have to have a two wire set up to guarantee results. The further you are from the exchange, the more critical your installation becomes.

It also helps if you have your splitter at the point of entry and use a dedicated line to your computer. Admitedly I am on Jetsream but I rewired completely on CAT5E and get a uniformly consistent speed on all five computers on my network. I can't even tell when there are others sharing the connection unless I look at the lights on my hub.

I am not saying that this is the cause of your slow pings but it can be a factor. It is probably more useful that having Telecom getting intimate with your rear. They might have something else in mind ]:)

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Chris
10-06-2003, 12:47 AM
ummm.....

Getting a "kiss" from telecom probably won't do much for your 400ms ping time.

I must wonder, 400ms from your computer to what???

.Chris

JamesStewart
10-06-2003, 11:47 AM
The New Zealand Paradice Half Life Seath Match server. And NO, it isn't my computer/wiring, I have been getting 50-75 pings ever since we got Jet Start in that server but Xtra said Telecom have stuffed somthing up.

Billy T
10-06-2003, 01:44 PM
OK James, but now you have to ask yourself how Telecom can selectively stuff up your connection without affecting everybody else. I am not being facetious either, but if it was a general Telecom problem PF1 would be awash with complaints and your post would have elicited a flood of "me too" comments.

You don't show your location so we can't find out if others in your area are similarly affected. It could be your install (NOT impossible, faults do occur and connections do deteriorate), the lines between you and your local exchange, or the exchange equipment itself.

Post your location and nearest exchange and we can see if it is a problem in your area.

If you have a fax you can do a limited line test by using Telecom's 0800 fax-back number that at least gives you an idea as to the HF performance of your line.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|