PDA

View Full Version : dual harddrives

effie C
09-06-2003, 08:38 PM
Hi,
I am interested in installing a second larger h/d say 10 gb( if I can find one) as my C drive using Xp--whilst still retaining my 4 gb h/d in D drive using win 98SE and in which I have all my years of work/learning/- you name it.
This is purely as a learning gimmick.
At present I use Win 98SE>4gb h/d>500Mhz CPU>192 mb RAM,in a Pll ( I have about 50% free space in the drive, though I know that has no relevancy.
Can anybody reassure me I am not creating a mare's nest or something
effie c

Pheonix
09-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Hi effie,
If you do not have a backup of your work (other than the hard drive) don't mess around. Better to unplug your 4Gig drive and just work with the bigger drive to experience XP. Your memory is definitely on the low side, will run XP but slower. You may also find that things like modems, printers, scanners and video cards do not have drivers for XP.
But keep your original drive unplugged until everything is going well with the XP drive.

Te tuhi
11-06-2003, 11:40 AM
Have a crack, go here for info.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/gettingstarted/multiboot.asp

effie C
12-06-2003, 01:26 PM
Hi Te tuhi,
follwed your lead( by the way the address you gave must have a stop or something wrong cos I had to reroute) no matter
I liked the testing of XP as against my win 98SE - it made me very envious- however the idea of having a dual h/d was not addressed- Phoenix says I have barely enough Ram - yet in that test site the speed was as good as mine.
Would the drivers etc that he worried about - work the old programs I have and/or if I stuck to my 4 gb h/d ( finances stretched) what harm would I come to if I converted en masse?
As I say this is a learning curve- I am well satisfied with 98 - it's just......?
effie c

stu140103
19-06-2003, 10:03 PM
> Have a crack, go here for info.
>

here is that link again (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/gettingstarted/multiboot.asp)

stu140103
19-06-2003, 10:05 PM
>Phoenix says I have
> barely enough Ram - yet in that test site the speed
> was as good as mine.
> Would the drivers etc that he worried about - work
> the old programs I have and/or if I stuck to my 4 gb
> h/d ( finances stretched) what harm would I come to
> if I converted en masse?

It depends on How old the programs are because some of them might not work in XP, but XP with SP 1 you can run different progume under a different environment e.g. win 98, me etc....

& You will need a comply different set of drives for XP, none of your 98 drives will work in XP

If you are going to get another hdd then just do what Phoenix said

Hope this helps & hope this answers your question :)