PDA

View Full Version : Installing WinXP Pro using floppies to boot?

Kame
09-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Know of anything like this?

I know you can use Win2k to boot from 4 Floppies but looking through XP there isn't a way for me to install it on a blank hard drive, well not that I can find.

cyberchuck
09-06-2003, 08:14 PM
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm - XP Boot Disks

CyberChuck

Pheonix
09-06-2003, 08:25 PM
Use Win98 bootdisk with CDROM support and change to CD drive and type setup.

Kame
09-06-2003, 08:43 PM
If only it was that easy Pheonix,

It'll give me a similar message to "This program can not be run under DOS"

Kame
09-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Cheers CyberChuck, the link for those XP Bootdisks answered that problem, just why couldn't they add it to the CD, although maybe I should update the BIOS so I can boot from CD next time.

Pheonix
09-06-2003, 08:50 PM
It's not an "upgrade" version is it? Sorry, just thought I had done it this way before. I'll have to keep taking those memory pills
:)

Kame
09-06-2003, 08:54 PM
WinXP Pro has does upgrade any Windows 9x and up OS except with this computer, unless it had an OS installed I could upgrade simple, but since it's a blank HDD there wasn't anything I could do without installing it in FAT32 which I didn't want.

Pheonix
09-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Nope I have consulted my notes (doesn't need memory pills) and can do it :-
Boot from a Win98 boot disk, choose with CD-Rom support, and, if you have the smartdrv.exe then run it first, otherwise it will take a long time to copy the installation files to your hard drive. After all of above is done, change to your CD-ROM drive, XP CD inserted, change to i386 folder and type winnt, hit enter. Setup will do the job fantastically and install your Windows XP. You just have to wait until all installation files are copied to the hard drive. This will take about 20 min if you have run smartdrv.exe or up to 2 hours if not. The procedure is the same. After all installation files are copied to the hard drive, the actual XP installation (usually 39 min) will begin. Even an upgrade version of XP will do a clean full install, it just will ask to insert a valid Win9x CD to verify that you owe one, then swap the CDs back and the installation will be done perfectly. Now you will have a clean full installation of Win XP

jackyht
10-06-2003, 11:56 AM
hi kame

just wondering, is ur windows xp is an upgrade cd? because i am sure that if u have a full version, all u have to do is chuck the cd in and it will boot up itself and goto the setup menu

Thanks
jacky

Kame
10-06-2003, 12:12 PM
It's a full version as far as I know,

Sadly the BIOS doesn't support booting from CDROM

Kame
10-06-2003, 12:15 PM
I tried that method before posting here, except I never ran smartdrv. The problem was, it would not locate a drive to install anything on (because I wanted to format in NTFS) and ended prematurely.

Maybe I should have created the FAT32 partition, who knows it may have asked to format the drive in NTFS. I just thought it would be similar to a Win2k Pro installation, where it'll create/format the partitions for you before starting but that didn't happen.