PDA

View Full Version : Fast MP3 ripping

vanman
09-06-2003, 10:33 AM
Does anyone know if there is any software out there that rips to MP3 reasonably quickly?

I live in a van, and tend to destroy cd's quite quickly, (an expensive problem!) I was looking at backing them all up in MP3 format, but that could take a loooooong time.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chilling_Silently
09-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Use the LAME Enc, I believe its the fastest.... Either that or Blade :-)

There may be better ones out there though ;-)

tweak\'e
09-06-2003, 11:16 AM
forget about speed and focus on QUALITY.

try this prog (http://www.cdex.n3.net/). if you want really good backups and have heaps of hardrive space then i suggest use a lossless codec (monkey/flaac).

for mp3 lame is quite good and ogg is also very good. please try to do decent quality rips, 128k mp3's sound fairly crappy.

kiwibeat
09-06-2003, 11:53 AM
I use audio catalyst myself very easy to use and quick it all depends on your PC components and it cpu speed etc how fast its done

Chilling_Silently
09-06-2003, 03:06 PM
And the transfer speed of data from your CD-ROM....

PoWa
09-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Yep for backups go for the highest bitrate mp3 u can. 'Lame' encoder is good and cdex is your tool :)

How good is this ogg thing anyway? I've heard its quite good?

Has anyone tried Mp3 pro? It is supposed to give you the same quality as cd at half the size of a normal 128k mp3. I tried it out about a year ago, but the only thing that seemed capable of playing it properly was musicmatch. ??

tweak\'e
09-06-2003, 09:37 PM
i think mp3pro is a case of "to little improvement, to late" no way would it give same quality at half the size.

Chilling_Silently
09-06-2003, 09:43 PM
I dunno what OGG is really.. I ripped a track in Linux, and it supposedly saved it as OGG.. Nothing would read it so I renamed it to MP3 and it works in WinAmp, XMMS etc?

Supposed to have better compression, and is not OGG Open Source?

tweak\'e
09-06-2003, 10:37 PM
ogg is like mp3. its another codec/format kinda like wma,mp3pro,lame,blade,xing etc. ogg is open source and is free so you can include it in your products without having to buy anything (there are a few games that use it). i rate ogg about the same as lame (when lame is configered correctly)

chill.....sounds like the ripper program stuffed up or the extention settings are not set.

PoWa
09-06-2003, 10:40 PM
Ugly 3 letter name anyhow :) Why couldn't they come up with something better...

tweak\'e
09-06-2003, 11:01 PM
>Ugly 3 letter name anyhow Why couldn't they come up with something better...

hows Matroska for a name (new open source av container kinda like avi). that name makes the name ogg vorbis look so nice ;-)