PDA

View Full Version : Networking problem, still.

Poppa John
08-06-2003, 11:15 PM
Asked about this recently but our computers won't play together. PJ is on XP, Main. Maryann is on 98se, network.
M can access the Internet, send & receive Hotmail E-mails, send ONLY on Outlook Express e-mails, use the common printer, & that is about all. We have tried doing the "Sharing Files" bit & on the XP, it will show a "Hand icon" against a file or programme on screen, but cannot be accessed on 98.
How does M, on 98. get access to "Anything" on the XP? Also to be able to access the XP Outlook Express to read HER e-mails without reading them from the XP screen,and "share" Kodak photo site.
We printed out the FAQ's on this topic, but couldn't seem to get it sorted.
All seems very complicated!!! Really have tried, but HELP!! ?:| ?:| P.J

metla
08-06-2003, 11:17 PM
Is xp puter running ntfs by any chance?

Poppa John
08-06-2003, 11:19 PM
metla. what is ntfs? PJ

Chilling_Silently
08-06-2003, 11:20 PM
File system has nothing to do with networking..

The TCP/IP layer betweent he OS and the network cable will sort out the fs from the PC its on..

metla
08-06-2003, 11:27 PM
> File system has nothing to do with networking..
>
> The TCP/IP layer betweent he OS and the network cable
> will sort out the fs from the PC its on..

lmao,networking aint my area of speciality .......If id thought a second longer i would have killed that first post of mine in this thread...

Poppa John
08-06-2003, 11:27 PM
metla & Chilling. I assume the "Networking" installation is Ok. It is the 98 having access to the XP that won't happen. I expect it is something simple we are not doing. What does M have to do on the 98 to have total access to the XP?..PJ

godfather
08-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Poppa, Maryann will need a login to exist on the XP machine with all the exact details of her login on the 98 machine I believe, to get access to your files.

I run all XP here, and thats not needed but I understand its required for 98 to XP on a network.
This was however suggested last time you posted on this problem, so you have probably done that?

Poppa John
08-06-2003, 11:57 PM
Goddie, Tried to find the last post you mention but could not. probably shouldn't be doing this at this time of night (for me). Please could you point me at the thread, or explain it all again? In newbie speak? Thanks. PJ

Chilling_Silently
08-06-2003, 11:59 PM
Yes,
Right-Click on My Computer and select Manage.. Making a user through there, im not too sure if it'll show on the Welcome Screen if you're using it.

Also, if you have WinXP Pro, disable Simple File Sharing, by opening my Computer

Click tools
folder options

Click on the second tab, and scroll down to the bottom, should be there :-)

Hope this helps

Chill.

Chilling_Silently
09-06-2003, 12:06 AM
Okay PJ, Try this:
Right-Click on my Computer

Choose Manage

Click on Local Users and Groups, then the Users subfolder
Right-Click over the right side on an empty space and choose New User

make the user with EXACTLY the same password and username, CaSe SEnsItIVe too, on the XP and 98 machine.. login on the 98 machine with the new username (Its easiest to make a new user on both.. even if its just temp.)

Now, share a folder on either PC.. on WinXP, if you made the new user an Administrator, then they can use the \\Machinename\C$\ as a share.. but best to make an open share that EVERYBODY has R/W access to :-)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chill.

godfather
09-06-2003, 12:11 AM
Follow Chillings advice, to create a login on XP which was given here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=35065) last time you had trouble.

The XP machine will not allow Maryann access unless it "knows" about her, and it does this by checking that her login details on the 98 machine are the same as her account on the XP machine. Then it knows she is allowed to log-in and should let her. You may need to re-boot XP after creating the account, not sure.

Poppa John
09-06-2003, 05:57 PM
Chilling & Godfather. Did Right click on My Computer & got Manage. When clicking on Manage we do not get "Local Users & Groups".What now? Remember I don't know what YOU know.
Just an observation. When I turn on the XP, after bootup, we get the User window wit our Name & password box. Is this the Username you are talking about. Have looked back at the previous Posts & I am missing something somewhere. Sorry to be so thick. PJ

godfather
09-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Yes.
Maryann will need a log-in just as you have one, on the XP box.
It must be the exact same name and password as she has on the 98 box.

Thats not to suggest she must log in on the XP machine, just that it must exist, and the permissions on her XP log-in must allow her to get access (so make it an administrator) to all your bits.....

Poppa John
09-06-2003, 06:26 PM
godfather...Maryann here.
Maybe this is where we have "gone wrong" from the start, when P.J added my name to his XP (during the halcyone days of early marriage). I dont have a password, as PJ does, to open up Windows. We have also just noticed that the user name I have on the XP sign in screen, is NOT the same as the name on my "98". :8} :8} Are we DUMB, or what!! How embarrassing. Maybe we can now go to step 100 of networking, instead of being bogged down right at the start.
Should we correct this first? How, please.

Chilling_Silently
09-06-2003, 06:40 PM
On the XP Machine, Click Start
Control Panel
User and Groups

From there, choose Maryann's login and select 'add password' :-)

For the Win98 machine, go into the Control Panel, and click on Passwords :-)

Poppa John
09-06-2003, 07:03 PM
Chilling: O.K....done all that...passwords set the same (at least P.J has!!). What do we do now to make XP allow me to have access? Or is that IT? PJ thinks we have to do something else to 98, to make it all happen. Cringe cringe...shame. Why can't we SEE what to do. Hang in there with us, please. :D :D :D

Susan B
09-06-2003, 07:26 PM
Are you guys sure about this "same name and password as on the Win 98 box" business?? I did not have that before. ?:|

I have just done a reformat of both the Win 98 and Win XP machines and now I am in the same boat as PJ and MA. :p :8} :8}

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes if I "map" the drives I can get them seeing each other's files and other times I cannot map them. Stuffed if I know why - I will have to fish out all my notes from CardFile and go over everything with a fine-toothed comb to sort it out, I think. I suspect that Kerio has something to do with it but am not entirely sure.

And before you laugh your head off, Godfather, the ICS works perfectly, no problems at all. It is just the file sharing stuff this time. :p :D

Anyway PJ and MA, you are not alone. Even the "experts" have trouble with networking sometimes. :p :D

:8}

Chilling_Silently
09-06-2003, 07:32 PM
P.J may be right!

Open up My Computer, and Right-Click on your C: Drive. If you can see a tab called Sharing, then you're all peachy to share it (Check under Properties if there's a Sharing Tab, Im in Linux right now sorry..).

If not, Right-Click on Network Neighbourhood and choose Properties

You need to put a tick in a box that allows others access to your files and/or printers. It will require your Win98 CD.

Hope this helps.. im not 100% sure on where that tick box is... but its there :-)
Sorry I cant be a little more specific ;-)

Dont worry, you'll get this nailed then you'll remember it for next time ;-)

Cheers

Chill.

Poppa John
09-06-2003, 07:35 PM
Susan B: B-) Relief!! We are not alone in this wilderness. Thankyou thankyou. Any advance to next step will have us "high as kites" ;\ ;\
Maryann

Chilling_Silently
09-06-2003, 07:37 PM
> Are you guys sure about this "same name and
> password as on the Win 98 box" business?? I did not
> have that before. ?:|

Yup, unless you're using the Win98 Box, and its accessing a share on 'the beast', then if its set to allow everybody full access, then it should put the Win98 user in the 'everybody' category

> And before you laugh your head off, Godfather, the
> ICS works perfectly, no problems at all. It is just
> the file sharing stuff this time. :p :D

Yes, that'll be the usernames. To be honest, its best to start with a new user on both PC's, we'll call it Admin, and give it the same password on both PC's. Now, login on the PC that's accessing the Host, and you should be peachy... :-)

> Anyway PJ and MA, you are not alone. Even the
> "experts" have trouble with networking sometimes. :p
> :D
>

Dont I know it ;-)

Susan B
09-06-2003, 07:41 PM
Aha, I have just proved that Kerio was to blame for my problems - disabled it and was able to have both machines viewing each other's shared files. But only by mapping the drives, at the moment.

PJ/MA, in Win XP's Windows Explorer go to My Network Places, right click on it and choose Map Network Drive. Leave the first field as is (probably the letter Y) and in the next field type in the following: \\computername\sharedfolder where the computer name is the name of Maryann's computer (natch) and the shared folder is something like My Documents.

You can also do this on the Win 98 PC if you wish but remember to use the correct names for things.

With a bit of luck you will get some access that way but it is not really what should be happening. If and when I sort my own out I will hopefully be able to assist further, unless someone else can sort us both out first!! :D

Poppa John
09-06-2003, 07:42 PM
Hey Chilling...Maryann again. Do you mean "open up My Computer" etc, on XP...or 98... and do we put 98 CD into XP?? We are "deep into the maze" now...:p

Babe Ruth
09-06-2003, 07:45 PM
Susan B, PJ & MA.

Firstly hi to you all....

Now the username/password stuff...

If when setting up Windows XP you enable anonymous network access via the Guest account (NOT RECOMMENDED) then a Username/Password is NOT required. However it is stongly recommended that you setup a username/password combination (on Windows XP) that is the same as the Windows98 user/password. You can then set the Windows98 system to automatically logon as that user when the Win98 system is booted (just to save you having to logon to it). Then you can get the file-sharing set up however you wish on either/both WinXp and Win98.

For those running WindowsXP Professional this whole thing is MUCH easier compared to WinXP H.E. as it can all be set up using security objects via Group Policy (including on your own standalone LAN/workgroup)

Cheers, Babe.

Babe Ruth
09-06-2003, 07:47 PM
Susan B,

Did I not send you a WinXP networking/setup doco at some time? If not I'll dig one up later tonight (sorry working a little late at the mo) and email you.

Cheers, Babe.

Susan B
09-06-2003, 07:58 PM
Hi Babe, yes you did send me those docs, thank you, I was just getting them out to have a good look through. Excellent stuff. :-)

Umm, I have never had a password for the Win 98 PC but the Win XP Admin account has a password. It is strange that it all worked wonderful before the formats. :8}

Anyway, as I said before, I can now see and access the shared folders/files on both machines since disabling Kerio and after mapping the drives. Will read up on what I need to fix in Kerio now and also digest your information a bit more - thanks for that. Don't want to hijack PJ and MA's thread with my own problems here so if I stay stuck I will start my own thread.

> Hey Chilling...Maryann again. Do you mean "open up My Computer" etc, on XP...or 98... and do we put 98 CD into XP?? We are "deep into the maze" now...

Chill is referring to your Win 98 computer. Do not put the Win 98 CD in the XP computer. Personally I found that running Win XP's Network Wizard and then using a floppy disk (not the Win XP CD) made on the Win XP machine and put in the Win 98 machine fixed a few things up for me. You might like to try that also. Find the wizard in Start>Accessories>Communications. It is quite straightforward.

Poppa John
09-06-2003, 07:58 PM
Babe Ruth:- Maryann again. We've done what you "strongly recommended".

AND How come there's "favouritism" on this site, bud!! (Just kidding) ;) Can we please have a copy of the doc. you are sending Susan B.

* zztriangle1@hotmail.com * :D :D

Poppa John
09-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Chilling. Have done what you said with the "Sharing Tab" on both the XP & the 98. Both were ticked with a "C" in the box. What next?. PJ
(ps Maryann is coping with all this as I am as grumpy as hell, fighting Pleurisy & feeling like s--t. Thanks for your help so far. Still cannot read XP "C" drive from the 98 tho. PJ

Spacemannz
09-06-2003, 09:22 PM
You dont need a password for XP, and u dun haveta add networked pcs as guest. Just enable file sharing/printer sharing. Open Windows Explorer, in XP Tools/Folder Options/View Tick use simple file sharing. Voila.

Dont have to use Network Wizard it sux. JUst make sure the workgroup name is the same and all PC's have different ips. ie: 192.168.0.1 etc

Chilling_Silently
09-06-2003, 10:27 PM
Okay, Here's to hoping P.J. is feeling better soon :-)

You never did get your Username back did you MaryAnn?

Have you followed through with Susan's idea and run the Networking Wizard app from the WinXP PC, then put the floppy it'll prompt you to make in the 98 PC and run that?

And if you open up My Computer, there should be the address bar up the top, did you put in:
\\PCname\Sharenamehere\
and hit enter?
If the Address bar is not there, bring it back by clicking on View up the top, then on Taskbars, then make sure there's a tick on the address bar :-)

Cheers

Chill.

Poppa John
09-06-2003, 10:59 PM
Chilling: Maryann...Re username? Er....do you mean because I keep coming in on P.J's username? Yes, I have my own, but just too lazy tonight to keep swapping, or going onto my 98, on the other side of room!!
Thanks for all the help...we'll try what Susan suggested tomorrow, and re-read the rest. Believe it or not, Chill, John used to be extremely intelligent (he tells me ;\) but bodily aches and pains have taken their toll, poor lad.

Maryann
10-06-2003, 10:27 PM
SUCCESS at last....big THANKYOU's to everyone. WHY we couldn't follow through on some of the suggestions....don't know. We would get so far, and then we couldn't see the right option to click...different words or something. We tried "Spacemannz" suggestion too, but couldn't see the last bit "simple file sharing". Thanks anyway.....:p
However, we ended up following Susan B's suggestion (between mouthfuls of dinner going cold) of using Network Wizard....disk...etc.
IT WORKED!!!! :O :8}
Still have a few "how to" things to work out, but I can now play PJ's music, (Mussorgsky at the mo....Mark Knopfler later B-) )
Hope we can help someone sometime. Heck...what a day THAT will be.
;) ;) Thankyou from Maryann and PJ (munching on his apple pie) :^O

Chilling_Silently
10-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Congrats, I knew you'd get it nailed :-)