PDA

View Full Version : New Computer.... Help Please ^_^

JamesStewart
08-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Hi all. Ummm, I am going to be saving up for a new computer soon and don't really understand bits of hardware. I'm look for the best graphics card out ATM, a mother board that will house a Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz, 533 Mhz FSB, Northwood Socket 478, Retail pack with fan and has 5 PCI slots and 3 IDE slots (of course u need USB and all that hoo har). It needs to have X8 or (if the graphics card coming out in the future) ever faster. I can sort every thing else out.. but a helping hand of these things would be great.

Thanks

James

kiwibeat
09-06-2003, 09:37 AM
Go for a slower cpu and get the best motherboard you can afford upgrade the cpu later cpus always go down in price as the latest faster ones emerge at a grossly expensive price
8x graphics cards are not yet perfected too expensive as well so stick to a 4x one with 128 megs of ram in it at present .
get 512 megs of ram on a single chip if possible and a decent CRT monitor 19" and above if you are into gaming and online a lot

nomad
09-06-2003, 11:05 AM
if u wanted a awesome graphics i suggest a Ti series GF4 card. MX is ok but given what i read i suggest a Ti series. The FX has yet to make a significant impact... these cards will be 8x but will work in 4x...

these cards has yet to be more apprec by a 8x mobo.. 4x works jus as fine in most most sitautions. the AGP bus is not yet seen as a bottleneck.....

if u have the dough a 800 FSB mobo, lesser Pentium IV chip. these will have 8x agp. if u wanna spend less i say a lesser Pentium chip, 533 mobo with a 4x agp is ok..

N.

nomad
09-06-2003, 11:11 AM
given your tone - looks like u wanted the v best things :D
ok, then u can say a 800 FSB Asus mobo and a full speed FX video card. i don't know the model sorry. i am not so fortunate dreaming about something i cannnot afford. life has so many others to attend to :(

:)
Nomad.

Chilling_Silently
09-06-2003, 03:19 PM
If you want Value for Money, then a GF4 Ti 4200 would be a good bet..
Best on the market would be the ATI Raedon 9700 Pro!

JamesStewart
09-06-2003, 06:35 PM
Does ATI make good grpahics cards? I don't seem to hear about them much. Umm, should I be waiting for Half Life 2 and Doom 3 to come out and see the graphics cards put out before/after they come out??

Pheonix
09-06-2003, 07:05 PM
You have to make a decision sometime, and soon as you buy....it is obsolete. Just technology moving on. As for the games you mentioned, 4200 Ti is fine, but minimum processor would be 2100MHz.
Get the fastest RAM and at least 512Meg. Fastest CPU you can afford and 7200rpm drive.
Remember, it is there for enjoyment, not to be the best on the block.

segfault
10-06-2003, 06:10 PM
Have you considered getting an AMD cpu instead? It could save you a considerable amount of money depending on which one you get.