PDA

View Full Version : Diamond data DVD-Drive

Te tuhi
08-06-2003, 07:02 PM
I have a Diamond data DVD ROM 16X, 40 Read. Model 1640A also reads on boot up as Pioneer 116 DVD-Drive. Also bought 'Spiderman' DVD Region 4. Also used DVD utility to read Region currently set to regions 2 and 4. Use software DVD decoder that installs from the Spiderman DVD. This is the error message on launch:
"An error occurred trying to unlock the CSS encryption for this DVD-Video disk"
Error occurs on win98, winme and win2k pro. Have used other DVD decoder software with mixed results. Some audio sound. Run an Athlon 1.2 Ghz, 512meg RAM, 32meg geforce AGP, All SCSI system 68 pin. Any ideas.

Mike
08-06-2003, 07:10 PM
Ummm...

What region is your DVD drive locked to? Or is it already locked to region 4?

What "other DVD decoder software" have you tried, and with what results?

Have you tried disabling the region utility?

Mike.

Te tuhi
09-06-2003, 08:23 AM
It's set to region 2 and 4, I can choose to lock either. Also uninstalled utility, same result. I've tried various software decoders and they all give the same reading. Have tried it on my other Duron 950 running XP Pro. Me thinks the DVD-Drive may be buggered. It's been set up as master and/or slave on primary and secondary IDE controllers with other HDD's and CDRW and CDROM. Also enabled DMA. so this forum is my last resort before I send it back. It reads CD's well enough but not DVD's.

Mike
09-06-2003, 09:40 AM
It won't be locked to both 2 and 4 - that'll be what the disk you want to play will be locked to. You DVD drive will also be locked to a region (usually after either 5 plays or 5 region changes) and once it's locked to a specific region you can't play disks from other regions. It sounds to me that it may have been locked to a region (probably to region 1).

Mike.

Te tuhi
09-06-2003, 01:12 PM
Solved. Tried it out with WinDVD trial version works perfectly. Looks like I'll have to get me bankbook out and purchase the full version.