PDA

View Full Version : poor music quality

amazon
08-06-2003, 04:30 PM
Hi there, I'm new to this site, and hoping to have a couple of questions answered by you experts! When I am playing back music I have downloaded into kazaalite, it sometimes jumps and sounds strange, especially whilst I am downloading more. Is this normal? My comp specs are Pent 2, MMX 466Mhz, 64mb ram, 8g free on harddrive, 56k dial up connection. I was wondering if I have enough ram? Any tips appreciated. Thank you, and have a great day!

segfault
08-06-2003, 04:35 PM
Yes, this is quite normal. Kazaa usually downloads the same file from more than one person at a time and so may have downloaded one part of the file and not another - hence the skipping.

Greg S
08-06-2003, 08:13 PM
Good question, and the fact that you've provided your PC specs helps a lot. Basically your system is underpowered - a mediocre soundcard will almost certainly make all the difference. Expect to pay around $100.00, and I bet you'll find a world of difference. Also more RAM will do the world of good... double it to 128 - it's very cheap these days, specially 2nd hand.

Greg S
08-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Seg - just thought I'd mention...he/she said that he/she was playing the music after it was downloaded, and that it was worse while downloading other stuff - more load on the CPU and RAM of course.

Dylan
08-06-2003, 08:19 PM
ill recomend a creative soundblaster audigy digital entertainment. i know a lot of people who are very happy (including myself) who have audigy's.

be sure to get some good speakers too.

Greg S
08-06-2003, 08:21 PM
>a mediocre soundcard will almost
> certainly make all the difference

Sorry - to clarify - you only need to buy a new mediocre soundcard - the top ones from a couple of years ago are now dirt cheap - eg Soundblaster Live. Again, possibly even get a 2nd hand card - seriously cheap!

Lohsing
08-06-2003, 09:36 PM
> ill recomend a creative soundblaster audigy digital
> entertainment. i know a lot of people who are very
> happy (including myself) who have audigy's.
>
> be sure to get some good speakers too.

*Bleagh* ... Audigy?? Especially on a PII 466 system? Talk about overkill...

Lo.

PoWa
09-06-2003, 12:50 AM
Yea it is a bit overkill. I would just increase the ram to at least 128mb. I know for a fact that running anything on 64mb leaves only about 17mb for actual application use.

tweak\'e
09-06-2003, 11:26 AM
you didn't mention what sound card you have however the lack of ram can cause that sort of problem. add 128mb to it (196 total) would be sweet. 256 would be only a little bit better but would cost a fair bit more.

Lohsing
09-06-2003, 11:29 AM
I think it's onboard sound?

Lo.

amazon
09-06-2003, 12:23 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I think I'll try the ram first. I don't know what type sound card etc, I've only just purchased the system. The speakers are JBL platinum series which hook to the compaq monitor, also new, so I spose they would be reasonable quality. Compared to my previous cyrix6x86 with a 120mhz processor, this thing is brilliant! Thanks again for your advice.