PDA

View Full Version : OT: Another twist on the Nigerian Scam

Billy T
08-06-2003, 01:18 PM
Viruses mutate, so why shouldn't Scam letters? This one has a new "teaser" format that is much more circumspect.

FYI, Cheers

Billy 8-{)

New "Source"
No "millions" mentioned
No spelling mistakes
No serious grammatical errors
No punctuation errors
Was correctly addressed to me personally at my company

Arab Co. For White Cement Ind.

Phone : +962 6 4643051 +962 5 3824048
Fax : +962 6 4643531 +962 6 4643531
P.O.Box : 960403 Amman 11196, Jordan

Attn: Mr ................

Dear Sir,

I am very interested in a business relationship with your company. I am Mr. Eid Abukaraki and I work for Arab Co. for White Cement Ind. I wish to make an offer of partnership with your company in the execution of a contract presently in the Middle East. All other details shall be passed on to you if interested by kindly sending a reply by email to me so that I am sure of whom I am sending information to, as it is very confidential.

The contract has been approved and payments shall be made upfront by my contacts in Government. It may interest you to know that the contract sum as been over invoiced by 30% which is where we both stand to mutually benefit.

In case you should wonder where my interest in this transaction is, I shall give more details as we proceed. I want you to be assured that this transaction is 100% legit and legal as all paperwork and documentation shall be given you to establish a trusted business relationship.

I look forward to your reply urgently.

Regards,

Mr. Eid

[pre][b]Wasn't Mr Ed a horse that talked?
Maybe this horse uses the other end ;)

bmason
08-06-2003, 02:24 PM
I got one claiming to be from British royalty. I kind of wish I had read far enough to find out what the rest of the story was.

Whats really is supprising is the number of people actually fall for these things. I saw an article that said they had made millions. And that was just from people who admitted it.

Graham L
08-06-2003, 03:12 PM
The world is full of greedy idiots.

liked the description of a Taliban spam email. It said something like: "This is the Taliban virus. Sorry, we don't have much IT in Afghanistan, so please delete all the files on your computer, after forwarding this to all your friends. Thank you."

PoWa
08-06-2003, 03:20 PM
>liked the description of a Taliban spam email. It said something like: "This is the Taliban virus. Sorry, we don't have much IT in Afghanistan, so please delete all the files on your computer, after forwarding this to all your friends. Thank you."

roflmho!

Hey Billy, maybe you should reply back to the scammer and have some fun :p

bmason
08-06-2003, 04:32 PM
http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=411 :-)

cyberchuck
08-06-2003, 05:34 PM
> The world is full of greedy idiots.
>
> liked the description of a Taliban spam email. It said something
> like: "This is the Taliban virus. Sorry, we don't have much IT in
> Afghanistan, so please delete all the files on your computer, after
> forwarding this to all your friends. Thank you."

Sounds a bit like the Irish Virus...
Makes you wonder why the people at symantec don't start pulling their hair out over such stupid hoaxes when they could spend their lives saving the internet from the evil scurge of Virii and Trojans...

CyberChuck

bmason
08-06-2003, 06:58 PM
And the unix virus:

YOU HAVE NOW RECEIVED THE UNIX VIRUS

This virus works on the honor system:

If you're running a variant of Unix or Linux, please forward this
message to everyone you know and delete a bunch of your files at
random.

Greg S
08-06-2003, 07:05 PM
> No serious grammatical errors

That letter is grammatically atrocious. Somewhat akin to a frog thinking it can fly because it can jump.

Chris
08-06-2003, 07:48 PM
> > No serious grammatical errors
>
> That letter is grammatically atrocious. Somewhat
> akin to a frog thinking it can fly because it can
> jump.
>

Yes, but the previous generation of Nigerian scam letters were pigeon english compared to this.

.Chris

Billy T
08-06-2003, 08:38 PM
Jeez you're a hard man Greg. :O

I acknowledge that my mate Eid Abukaraki is grammatically challenged, but have you read essays written by the average mid-stream teenager recently? They are on pretty equal terms here, and remember, supposedly English is not his first language.

IMHO there are no serious grammatical errors, and I said that because the letter is easy to read, the meaning is clear, and a person of below average reading ability would have no problem understanding what he was saying. Whether or not they understood the implications is another matter of course.

Here is another example:

FROM THE DESK OF
RTD.COL.THEOPHILUS DANJUMA.
(CHIRMAN ANTI FRAUD UNITS)
HEAD OFFICE ANTI FRAUD UNIT,
LION BULDING LAGOS-NIGERIA.
TEL:234-80-37259639
EMAIL:antifraudunit1@mailservice.ms

ATTN SIR,

DUE TO THE HIGH LEVEL OF FRAUD/MONEY LAUNDREY IN NIGERIA
BY SOME TOP GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS, CONTRACTORS, BUSINESS MEN,
UNPATROITIC CITIZIENS USING FAKE NAME/POSITIONS SUCH AS DEACONS, PASTORS, MINISTERS, GOVERNORS, TOP MILITARY OFFICIALS,
CHAIRMAN OF BANKS,PRESIDENT, TOP MEN OF THE SOCIETY AND THE NNPC.

ANTI FRAUD COMMITTEE [SPECIAL DUTIES] CURRENTLY SITTING IN LAGOS,
AFTER SERIES OF PETITIONS WE RECIEVED VIA THE WORLD BANK AND
THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND [IMF] FROM FOREIGN CONTRACTORS ON THE INABILITY OF THE CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA [CBN] TO FUFILL IT'S OBLIGATION IN PAYMENT OF IT'S FOREIGN CREDITORS, THE PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA IN CONJUCTION WITH HIS DECISION MAKING BOARD, FORMED THIS UNIT AND MANDATED US TO CARRY OUT A CAREFUL AND COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW OF ALL OVER DUE PAYMENTS TO CONTRACTORS WHO HAVE COMPLETED THIER CONTRACT OBLIGATION. ALSO FORIEGNERS THAT THEIR KIN HAS DIED AND LEFT THEM AN INHERITANCE IN THIS COUNTRY BY EFFECTING PAYMENT IMMIDIATELY SO AS TO SANITIZE THE IMAGE OF OUR GREAT COUNTRY CAUSED BY THE EMBARRASMENT.

YOU CAN FURTHER LOOK AT THIS ONLINE NEWS TO UNDERSTAND WHY THE ANTI-FRAUD UNIT WAS INITIATED.

Click Here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,563027,00.html)

THIS IS TO OFFICIALLY INFORM YOU THAT WE ARE FULLY AWARE OF SCAM/FRAUD. HOWEVER, AFTER GOING THROUGH YOUR FILE AND FURTHER INVESTIGATION, WE FOUND OUT THAT YOU/COMPANY/MINISTRY WAS NOT THE BENEFICIARY TO APPLY FOR THIS FUND TRANSFER. AS IN OUR PREVIOUS FILES THIS FUNDS WAS REFLECTING A DIFFERENT NAME, IT HAS ALSO COME TO OUR NOTICE THAT YOU ARE COLLABORATING WITH SOME HIGHLY PLACED CONNECTED GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL HERE IN NIGERIA TO CLAIM THIS FUNDS. WE ASSURE YOU THAT THIS IS THE MAJOR REASON WHY THE FUNDS HAS NOT BEEN TRANSFERRED TO YOUR ACCOUNT.

NOTE: THE ANTI FRUAD COMMITTEE IS AWARE OF THIS TRANSACTION AFTER SERIES OF INVESTIGATION. ALSO HAVING CONSIDERED THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH A LOT IN YOUR EFFORT TO REALIZE THIS TRANSACTION.

THE FUND IS STILL EXISTING IN OUR GOVERNMENT PAYMENT SCHEDULE AS UNCLAIMED AND IN YOUR NAME AS THE SOLE BENEFICIARY BUT IT IS REALLY UNFORTUNATE THAT YOUR REPRESENTATIVE HERE IN NIGERIA ARE CRIMINALS.

OUR PURPOSE OF CONTACTING YOU IS TO INFORM YOU THAT YOUR ASSISTANCE IS HIGHLY NEEDED TO PROOF THEM GUILTY UDNER CIRMINAL CODE 419 IN THE NIGERIAN CONSTITUTION. THE ANTI-FRAUD UNIT WILL ASSIST YOU IN CORRECTING THOSE ABNORMALITIES AND MAKE SURE THAT THIS FUNDS IS APPROVED AND PAID TO YOU WITHOUT FURTHER DELAY. BUT ON THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS THAT YOU MUST AGREE.

1)TO COMPLY WITH THE NEW FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA LAW STATING THAT ALL FOREIGN PAYMENTS WILL NOW HAVE TO PASS THROUGH THE ECOWAS BANK INSTEAD OF THE CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA. TO DO THIS YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO OPEN A DOMICILARY ACCOUNT IMMEDIATELY WITH THE ECOWAS BANK HERE IN NIGERIA.

FINALLY, IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT REGULATION TO CHECK ILLEGAL FUND TRANSFER, NO PAYMENT CAN BE MADE WITHOUT OUR EXPRESS APPROVAL AND CLEARANCE FROM OUR UNIT SO YOU ARE ADVISE TO SIEZE ALL COMMUNICATION WITH YOUR NIGERIAN PARTNERS OR ANY GROUP WITHIN OR OUTSIDE NIGERIA FOR SECURITY REASONS.

YOUR TIMELY RESPONSE SHOULD SAVE YOU FURTHER UNPLEASANT PREDICAMENT, LIKEWISE YOUR UNTIMELY RESPONSE MIGHT COMPEL OUR OFFICE TO SUBMIT OUR FINDINGS FOR IMMIDIATE ACTION AND CONSEQUENCE PROSECUTION.

YOU CAN REACH US DIRECTLY ON OUR CONTACT BELLOW

BEST REGARDS,

CHIRMAN ANTI FRAUD UNIT.
TEL:234-80.37259639
EMAIL:antifraudunit1@mailservice.ms

I rest my case :D

mikebartnz
08-06-2003, 10:55 PM
I have said it more than once here that if you send to the ISP with a message subject of Spam : No loss with the full message (header and all) they will usually be removed. After viewing the header choose the Reply to address to send the email to them as abuse@ the ISP. I have had a lot of luck with this method and have had numerous accounts deleted.

Billy T
09-06-2003, 09:02 AM
?:|

Nobody is complaining Mike, this stuff is an entertainment art form. I have no sympathy for the suckers who lose money on these scams because it is their own greed that drives them.

The people I feel sorry for are their families or friends who suffer as a result of that greed, and naivety.

This type of scam will prosper as long as there is one greedy scamee left standing.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

[pre][b]Scamee: A new Billy word to save me
writing sucker twice in the same post.
Oops :O :8}

bonzo29
03-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Yet another to add to your collection Billy T

Tables turned on e-mail conman
Don Frame

SIGN OF FAITH: Prince Joe

A COMPUTER conman got a taste of his own medicine when he tried to trick a Manchester man out of cash.

The fraudster, calling himself Prince Joe Eboh, and falsely claiming to be the chairman of the Niger Delta Development Commission, made contact by email.

He said that if the man would agree to store £13 million of `surplus cash' in his bank account, he would be rewarded with an interest payment of £2.5 million.

It's a well-known trick which has led to many Britons revealing their bank details and losing thousands of pounds in "processing fees".

What the conman didn't realise was that his intended victim was actually a Manchester computer wizard - willing only to be known as Mike - who has set up his own website dedicated to humiliating the Nigerian tricksters.

And in a counter sting, Mike posed as a clergyman called Father Hector Barnett and conned the conman into sending HIM cash for "the Holy Church of the Order of the Painted Breast" - which he then promptly gave to charity.

"Fr Hector" outsmarted Prince Joe, fabricating the bizarre religious order complete with nonsense prayer and initiation sign. He told the conman he could only do business if he first joined the church.

And he demanded proof of initiation by asking for a photograph of Prince Joe with the order's logo painted on his right breast.

Fee

He even told him he was appointing a guru to look after his spiritual wellbeing - a Fr Shiver Metimbers.

Prince Joe eagerly responded to all requests - sending back a photo of himself as requested and promising to set up a branch of the church in Lagos.

But having become an initiate, the conman then set about trying to fleece his new "church", saying that before he could transfer his millions, Fr Hector would first need to pay a £10,000 processing fee.

`Fr Hector' replied to say that as the money was not going to be used for church purposes, a clearance certificate would have to be obtained to withdraw the cash from the donation fund.

The document would cost £50 and Prince Joe would have to pay. And pay Prince Joe did. He quickly coughed up the £50 and paid a further £25 for it to be delivered by courier.

But instead of receiving the £10,000 processing fee from the church, he got an email from `Fr Hector', "confessing" he had had a crisis of faith following the death of close friend "Minnie Mowse" and had quit the church to join a circus.

He said his circus pals had convinced him he would be better off keeping the church's £10,000 for himself. Two clowns, The Great Tossini and Koko the Klot, wanted him to invest in their snow export business.

Mike said: "The initial contact from Prince Joe was a classic scam and I decided to make him jump through a few hoops."