PDA

View Full Version : And yet another NAV Update

Kiwitas
08-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Must be some sort of a record for Symantec as todays
"Live Update" of micro-defs is their 5th in past 7 days?

The 606.7Kb's of these definitions should take your total to

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

Kiwitas
08-06-2003, 02:01 PM
>
> The 606.7Kb's of these definitions should take your
> total to
> 64045.
OOPS,make that 64054!

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

J ZEP
08-06-2003, 02:21 PM
> The 606.7Kb's of these definitions should take
> your total to 64045.
> OOPS,make that 64054!

Hi Kiwitas, I was wondering if you can tell me exactly where i look to see the total defs, as stated above (or is that imfo. just stated at the symantec site??). I just can't seem to find anywhere that actually states the total defs in NAV ?:| and I have often wondered where i would find that imfo. Using NAV 2003 Pro. ed. on xp pro.

Jen C
08-06-2003, 02:39 PM
Hi J ZEP

You can see your current defintion number by opening up NAV, select Reports and then Virus list > View Report. It will show your latest definition date as well as the number of definitions.

Cheers
Jen

J ZEP
08-06-2003, 06:57 PM
> You can see your current defintion number by opening
> up NAV, select Reports and then Virus list > View
> Report. It will show your latest definition date as
> well as the number of definitions.

Hi Jen, thanks for that imfo, I will go have a looksee as soon as i get back on that puter. No doubt its right under my nose :8} :D. One of the reasons i was wanting to know was i did a "system restore"(xp) a few weeks back - and i remember reading on F1(here) i think it was, that when you use system restore you loose any NAV updates you did in between that restore period :O, so i want to check just to be safe ;-) and also peace of mind knowing i am totally up to date.
Cheers

Big John
08-06-2003, 11:07 PM
Not only that but this one seems to be buggy as. Is causing my computer to spontaniously shut itself down. I have disabled it just so I can get my PC to run more than 5 minutes.

Very poor quality control.

Big John
08-06-2003, 11:16 PM
Humm, Just used the Live Update again and there is another update already. Must have found that bug and released an update. Time to re-enable and test it out and see if it is stable once more.

Big John
09-06-2003, 10:19 PM
> Humm, Just used the Live Update again and there is
> another update already. Must have found that bug and
> released an update. Time to re-enable and test it out
> and see if it is stable once more.

Nope that did not work. Had to completely un-install NAV and NIS both to get machine stable and re-install both. Downloaded the updates again and all seems fine. Might suspect a data corruption somewhere with the update as it came down the line.

Jen C
09-06-2003, 10:34 PM
Hi Big John

There was a recent update for NIS and Nortons Personal Firewall which caused a bit of havoc, this might of been the problem you were experiencing.

Norton Internet Security 2003 does not load on reboot after applying the 6.04 patch via LiveUpdate (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2003041114455436?OpenDocument&src=hot∏=Norton%20Internet%20Security&ver=2003%20for%20Windows%202000/Me/98/XP&stg=2&base=http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nis/&next=nis_2003_search_solve.html&sone=nis_2003_tasks.html&tpre=).

My Norton Personal Firewall was affected, it wouldn't load and then it took out NAV. I did a System Restore and rolled back one day to fix it. They are still working on a fix for that update.

Jen

Big John
10-06-2003, 12:32 PM
> There was a recent update for NIS and Nortons
> Personal Firewall which caused a bit of havoc, this
> might of been the problem you were experiencing.

That was it. I turn off restore as it takes too much disk space. I just do entire backups. I just uninstalled everything, removed extra entries in the registery that the uninstalls did not remove and re-installed everything. No issues after that.

Mine was worse than the symptoms they gave though. Mine just crashed straight to shutdown randomly and when I tried to open NIS