PDA

View Full Version : fast and easy way to update website

fergie
08-06-2003, 01:42 PM
Hi ya.
I planning a website to go with my upcoming computer store.
The store's just going to be the usual - sell parts, pc's, maintance etc.
anyway, i thought i'd make a site to go with it, and sell through me website as well.
anyway, i don't really no much about websites, and all there fancy things etc, but i don't really want to hire someone to set it up as i'm trying to keep costs down to the min.
Anyway, my web hoster supports these formats:
PHP
MySQL
Perl

what i'm really after is a simple, easy, and fast way to update prices, and change info on products.
I've already set up the sites layout, and the only way i currently know of adding products with prices etc, is to type them into the html, and upload it, but this is VERY time consuming, and with the rate of changing prices, i'd never be able to work on my business.
So i thought there must be an easier way, anyone no? or where i could go to find out?
Also, i wanna have a "PC Builder" on the site (much like the one at www.pp.co.nz)
would i be able to do this asweel??
Cheers
Alex

stu140103
08-06-2003, 01:54 PM
> Hi ya.
> I planning a website to go with my upcoming computer
> store.
> The store's just going to be the usual - sell parts,
> pc's, maintance etc.
> anyway, i thought i'd make a site to go with it, and
> sell through me website as well.
> anyway, i don't really no much about websites, and
> all there fancy things etc, but i don't really want
> to hire someone to set it up as i'm trying to keep
> costs down to the min.

I know you do not want to hire someone to set it up for you but I can offer you a cheep price $1 a day

(which includes every thing from hosting to domain name, & the host supports PHP/MYSQL & Perl (I think it supports Perl) & Free updates & even more.......

If you are interest please e-mail me at stuartw77@hotmail.com :)

stu140103
08-06-2003, 01:57 PM
Also I meant to say you can update the site your self as well. :)

-=JM=-
08-06-2003, 07:19 PM
You be wanting to have the products descriptions and prices stored in the MySQL database. You'd want to have an "admin" section where you can go to adjust prices and add/remove products.

The webpage would be created dynamically with the contents of the database.

fergie
08-06-2003, 07:44 PM
That sounds like what i 'm after.
Now, what do i do? (i've never worked with programming)
Is there a program, or system that i can use to set it up? Or do i have to learn all about the language?
I hope i'm making sense - i've never really worked with any of this stuff

Greg S
08-06-2003, 08:01 PM
Unfortunately yes, you'll have to learn MySql or similar if you want to be able dynamically change content as you wish. It's not a language - just a database app.

But I think you're envisioning more work than you'll actually be faced with... assume you have 1000 items, and you need to update 10% of their prices every day - that's only about 15 minutes of typing and uploading per day on any decent wysiwyg site editor.

-=JM=-
08-06-2003, 08:23 PM
Well what you'd be needing to learn is PHP (http://www.php.net) which will interface with the database to create the HTML pages that serves up.

You could learn it and do it yourself. Or you could get someone else to do it for you.

There are other alternatives like an ASP/Access solution instead of the php/MySQL.

fergie
08-06-2003, 08:30 PM
I heard about the ASP/Access way a while ago, but my web host doesn't support it.
Is it very difficult to learn (PHP)??
What would you reccomend, just find some tutorials on the net, and off i go? or what?
Cheers

stu140103
08-06-2003, 09:01 PM
> Is it very difficult to learn (PHP)??

ummm, depends on your skill level etc...

> What would you reccomend, just find some tutorials on
> the net, and off i go? or what?

I do not think it will be that easy, not too sure…..

-=JM=-
08-06-2003, 09:32 PM
You can learn it all from the tutorials at PHP.net it may take a while though.

I presume you're competent with HTML as it is?

mikebartnz
09-06-2003, 12:02 AM
I have written a program in Delphi to update a couple of sites that change weekly and involve a few thousand lines of HTML. I think that approach is just as good as using MYSQL because the site itself does not sound like it needs to be dynamic just the data.