PDA

View Full Version : Shaky email progammes

j.harper
07-06-2003, 10:35 PM
I've tried out both Opera and Foxmail and each have features I like. But both have seemed rather shaky and not quite reliable. I have Win98SE.

Now someone has suggested that this would be because I still have OE6 installed and there might be some degree of incompatability.

That in itself sounds pretty a shaky theory but I wonder what the experts here think of the idea. I would appreciate your thoughts please.

Jay

stu140103
07-06-2003, 10:44 PM
> I've tried out both Opera and Foxmail and each have
> features I like. But both have seemed rather shaky
> and not quite reliable. I have Win98SE.
>
> Now someone has suggested that this would be because
> I still have OE6 installed and there might be some
> degree of incompatability.

I do Not think that is true, OE will not cause any other e-mail Programs any problems.

Can you explain by what do you mean:
>But both have seemed rather shaky

Do you get any error messages?

Dylan
07-06-2003, 10:51 PM
have you tried Pegasus Mail

www.pmail.com

written in new zealand ;)

Terry Porritt
07-06-2003, 10:54 PM
Odd, I havent found Foxmail to be 'shaky' at all, and Ive used it since Win 3.1 days and the 16 bit version 1.6. Now using 4.1 and also 2.1.

Can you describe what problems you've had with it?

j.harper
07-06-2003, 11:12 PM
Thanks Terry, I know you have used Foxmail. By 'shaky' I probably mean unstable - doing unexpected things, losing some settings. But I can't be more exact than that, sorry.

cyberchuck
08-06-2003, 10:12 AM
Hey
Have you tried Eudora (http://www.eudora.com/email/index.html)? There's a few versions of it.
Free - which has ads in it - doesn't add any to your emails though
Professional - no ads
I think there's another one as well?

Pretty good email client, I liked it when I was using it a while back

CyberChuck

Jen C
08-06-2003, 11:51 AM
If you have had both Opera email and now Foxmail doing strange things, it would tend to suggest either operator error or something unusual happening in the background. I have been using Foxmail as my default email client for about 3 weeks now (also have Outlook Express) and it has been rock solid.

What you could try is some generalised maintenance on your computer - use disk cleanup, scandisk and defrag. Make sure your antivirus program is up to date. Running a program such as Adaware 6 or Spybot Seach and Destroy would not hurt either.

Failing all that, you will need to wait until you notice the problems again, and take note of them in detail. This will help with targeting the problem area.

Cheers
Jen

Rod ger
08-06-2003, 12:13 PM
I've had a few little problems with the new Opera email program, mainly getting my head around it and decieded to browse for a new one. After searching a fair bit was suprised how few programs were available, anyway I went with Eudora(w/adds).

Well It probably does a lot but it is not what I would call an instinctive program (to be kind), and after it crashed sending out a couple 700KB attachements to my accountant it has never worked properly since.

I did look at Foxmail but the customer reviews on Cnet put me off. Basically they said it was insecure and gave out passwords etc. May have been the rantings of some xenophobes, but I would like to hear F1er's experiences with it as far as security is concerned

Jen C
08-06-2003, 01:04 PM
> I did look at Foxmail but the customer reviews on
> Cnet put me off. Basically they said it was insecure
> and gave out passwords etc. May have been the
> rantings of some xenophobes, but I would like to hear
> F1er's experiences with it as far as security is
> concerned

I just went and read those reviews .... interesting. I decided to do a little experiment.

I use Norton Personal Firewall 2003, so I removed Foxmail from the program list and then restarted Foxmail. The first alert showed Foxmail.exe wanting access to the remote address 61.145.117.105 (this was before I went to check for any mail). Then when checking for mail, a second alert showed Foxmail.exe waiting access my ISP mail server IP (as per normal). Blocking the first remote address 61.145.117.105 prevented me from accessing my mail server.

Don't know what to make of all that.

Sorry for getting off topic here but Rod ger raised an interesting point.

Jen

Terry Porritt
08-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Well, after reading Rod gers' security comments I went to CNET and scanned through most of the reviews. I must say some of the adverse ones were most probably nothing to do with Foxmail, like sending out passwords to China, and to junk mail sites, and the program falling over after a few months due to the email account being taken over. With due respect to "Programming and Analysis" comments of 1 April 2003, Id say just a load of rubbish. Never ever experienced anything like that. There is no spyware loaded with the program. These sorts of problems are due to other spywares and/or trojans on peoples systems.

I get 2 or 3 spams a week, and nothing to with Foxmail as far as I know.

Erics' comments of 16 February 2003 includes a valid criticism that url links, if too long dont get underlined in blue for the whole length, and end up with some plain text.
This is a bit of a nuisance, but being aware of it, all you have to do is to tell the recipient about it and instead of clicking on the link, copy and paste the url.
Having said that, I've also receive incomplete long links that have come via OE, now whether that is due to Foxmail Im not sure, but it's no great hardship.

This (http://download.com.com/3302-2367_4-9692109.html?pn=1&fb=0) is probably the site Rod ger mentioned with CNET user reviews.

People can draw there own conlusions as to the general concensus of opinion.

Terry Porritt
08-06-2003, 01:19 PM
That is really weird, Jen. Since it has now been experienced independently, there must be something happening, but I have to say it hasnt happened to me. I must play more.
Cheers

Terry Porritt
08-06-2003, 01:54 PM
Well, had a little play. Removed entries to Foxmail from Kerio firewall, and when trying to check email, the firewall just asked me if I wanted to connect to Paradise, so no problems there. There was no request allow connection to the 61.145.117.105 IP. Tested out email by sending a message to myself, no untoward firewall requests.

I then ran a DNS on fox.foxmail.com.cn, the Foxmail website url and it gave me 61.145.117.101 which will be the Chinese ISP or gateway through to Foxmail.

Odd, I dont know why some may be getting Foxmail trying to get back to the Foxmail site.

Anyway it's up to individuals to decide what they want to use.

nomad
08-06-2003, 04:34 PM
try this. i have with success.
create a diffferent user profile
copy stuff onto it.

run it, if better u can delete old profile and rename the profile to the last one's name.

Nomad.

-=JM=-
08-06-2003, 07:27 PM
I'd be inclined to COMPLETELY IGNORE any comments in the user-reviews of CNET. They usually seem to be the largest pile of [choose your own item here] that I've ever come across.

Waltzzz
08-06-2003, 07:45 PM
I am a long time user of Forte Agent. It is fundamentally a newsreader, however it also does email in the registered version. it is very stable. It has a lot of advantages over anything I have tried but some flaws too. It does not do HTML emails. Does not have nested folders. Some of these things will be fixed in the promised 2.00 version.

It has good filters - threading - conversion of threads to .txt files

Still, i am looking for the perfect email client so comments welcome.

Waltzzz
08-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Here is the link:

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php