PDA

View Full Version : Yoper Distro

Muzzer
07-06-2003, 04:13 PM
Hi

Anyone had any experience with Yoper (http://www.yoper.com/) ? I've downloaded the ydesktop and ycd2 ISO's (1.28GB in all) but have never taken the plunge with Linux before. Should I take the next step, is there another distro I should look at first before Yoper (I don't consider myself to be of geek status)? I've registered for the Yoper community forum but thought I'd ask around on my fav first.

My intention is to dual boot, either on a win98 or win2k machine on a partition or an 8GB drive I have spare. Should I let Yoper set this up. Have plenty of capacity on both systems, my pref would be the 2k machine.

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Murray P

agent
07-06-2003, 04:36 PM
Well, I'm not one to help you here (I'm rather ignorant of Linux), but Yoper is "heralded" to be the easiest Linux distribution for Windows users to delve straight into, because, as far as I know (and have seen), it supposedly looks like Windows XP.

*Cough "bullshit" cough*

If anything however, folks do say it's well suited for Windows users, so I think it's most likely your best bet.

All in all, though, you might try looking in the FAQs section for Linux articles, or wait until Chilling_Silently comes along and explains it all to you.

flyer590
07-06-2003, 04:53 PM
I have Yoper V1 and I really like it, although a small amount of Linux knowledge may help at times. You will probably need some separate partitioning software such as PartitionMagic if you intend to resize the Windows partition.

Muzzer
07-06-2003, 05:21 PM
Have been reading the PF1 postings re Yoper. Its pretty new tho so not a great deal of info, yet.

I have Partition Magic SE 6 & Drive Image 4 OEM versions that have decided not to work. I don't think they are time limited just older versions but niether will boot into the interface :(

Have 2 partitions set up already on both comps just means moving my data around formatting the partition, I guess, and as before can throw a spare HDD in, would that be recommended.

Cheers Murray P

PS. After 1.2GB downloads I'm getting itchy, formication as/ Billy T's WFTWE, having trouble waiting for Chill or others :)

Cheers Murray P

agent
07-06-2003, 05:35 PM
I would reccommend installing it on a separate HDD (your spare one), but be wary that it may change the drive letter mappings in Windows, most notably for your CD drives and any other drive that comes after C: (and whatever other partitions you have).

Chilling_Silently
07-06-2003, 06:28 PM
Hehe, Thanks Agent :-)

If you've downloaded it, I believe you'll have Yoper rc4, but with V1, there's a few major updates, like KDE etc.

I had a talk with the guy at the ICE expo, and yes, he designed it to REPLACE windows, he wanted a free OS that could do everything Win** can do, and I think he's done pretty darn well!

Partitioning will be fine if you DONT SPECIFY a linux partition, let Yoper pick that up.

The Text installer is a little intimidating.. not too much though.. but the actual Yoper OS is brill!

What was the question again??

If it was just about partitioning, use PM to shrink the Win2K partition (Pref using FAT32, if its NTFS, then convert so you have R/W access in Yoper) and then let Yoper use the UNPARTITIONED space :-)

Post back if you wanna know more :-) I'll do my best

Cheers

Chill.

E.ric
07-06-2003, 07:40 PM
The Yoper joker said at the ICE show in Auckland , the free download is a cheap version of the real and better version CDROM version that cost $150 ?

It was done so he could earn more money for his troubles.

Muzzer
07-06-2003, 08:36 PM
Hi Chill

Version I have is V1 according to Yoper site this is the file: ydesktop-i686-3.2.2.iso, has a date of 15 May 03 rather than the March date of RC4, can't download the updates unless you have paid. Apparently the $158- CD version has a new release out or very soon will be. Want to have a look before I buy. See if Linux is for me.

PM won't start, wont re-boot when you click ok to do so and "is not responding" Tried reinstalls, etc. Will figure it out when I have the inclination.

I already have partitions set up by PM before install of Wi2k on this machine. Will scub off the win sys files sitting there. Have decided not to dual boot on the 98 comp for reasons of convenience, its in another room other than my office and my son would be none too pleased if I dragged it in here (which means the real reason is that I'm avoiding conflict :D )

I going to start the install (have printed out the txt) if I get in the brown smelley stuff I'll be posting back, hopefully on this machine and not the 98.

Ta very much.

Muzzer
07-06-2003, 08:43 PM
Take your point agent. I supected it may be the safer way to go. Have decided to go the partition way tho. Quieter, faster HDD and more space if I decide to stick with it.

If I get in "it" I'll remember your advice and be here cap in hand :8} . No intention of eating it tho ;\

Cheers Murray P

Chilling_Silently
07-06-2003, 09:29 PM
Really? I went to the website on the second day @ ICE and it still was only rc4, but I suppose if the actual baby is online, then I'll go download it!!!

The online one shouldnt be a cheaper version of it, but I'll see about emailing him :-)

As for usability, He's claiming to be able to convert an entire office in a weekend.

Its 'The Perfect OS' and you'' "Never have to Dual-Boot again"!!!

Im gonna see about downloading it tonight :-)

Chilling_Silently
07-06-2003, 09:37 PM
> Well, I'm not one to help you here (I'm rather
> ignorant of Linux), but Yoper is "heralded" to be the
> easiest Linux distribution for Windows users to delve
> straight into, because, as far as I know (and have
> seen), it supposedly looks like Windows XP.
>
> *Cough "bullshit" cough*

You would be talking about Lycoris Desktop/LX dude :-)

> If anything however, folks do say it's well suited
> for Windows users, so I think it's most likely your
> best bet.

Yeah, goto yoper.com and look at the user comments :-)

Muzzer
08-06-2003, 03:35 AM
:_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :( :_| :_| :( :_| :( :( :( :( :( :( :( ....... :) ahhh that feels better :8} Hate crying in public tho.

Yoper would not load. tried to install 3 times. last time got to an incomlete splash the crc error, system halted. Had to do a console repair of the win2k MBR to get it to boot to doze. Could it be a corrupted cd image or download? I feel another sniffle coming on 677MB download :_| Boot floppy didn't work either so that option was out. The Yoper install partition is of course inaccessable from doze, doze being really keen to refomat it ;)

I'll sleep on it. Any suggestions folks?

Cheers Murray P

Muzzer
08-06-2003, 03:39 AM
Should read:

> last
> time got to an incomlete splash then, crc error, system
> halted.

> Cheers Murray P

cyberchuck
08-06-2003, 10:25 AM
> The Yoper joker said at the ICE show in Auckland , the free download
> is a cheap version of the real and better version CDROM version that
> cost $150 ?

Dr Floppy is selling Yoper V1 for $89.95...
Might get myself a copy once I'm more comfortable in RedHat

CyberChuck

Chilling_Silently
08-06-2003, 01:42 PM
Your best bet for downloads is to use GetRight, never had any problems with using that, but have with DAP and a few other Download Managers..

Muzzer
08-06-2003, 02:37 PM
Thats what I used Chill. Getright ver 5.01. Am about to burn a new image to see if that was the problem. Can I run the image off the HDD or would I need to create a virtual CD?

Cheers Murray P

Muzzer
08-06-2003, 11:14 PM
A failure :(

Have posted on yoper site for info. Suspect a corrupt download.

Flyer how was your install, was it by download or off cd?

Cheers Murray P

flyer590
09-06-2003, 05:12 PM
I bought the 2 CD set about a month ago.

Muzzer
10-06-2003, 12:47 AM
Hi Flyer

I'm really keen to get this thing up and running.

One of the errors I'm getting is that it won't load past the initial Yoper boot screen, Boot: Yos loading........... (error) isolinux: disk error 80, A X = 4200, drive 9F boot failed, press a kry to retry..... Retrying doesn't get me any further although I had got to login previously off a diif burnt CD image, but that was it.

Checked the MD5 sums on the downloaded iso's and everything checked out ok. Checked the same on the burnt iso image and it MD5sum.exe (checker) locked on isolinux/initrd.gz which is the file just after isolinux/boot.cat :O So I'm going to try some different CDR media but that won't happen for a few days because I'm off ip country to do a couple of jobs. Will log in here if I get the oppurtunity tho.

Do you reckon I'm taking the right approach. Have posted on Yoper forum with abit more detail. Look for mm8.

Cheers Murray P

flyer590
10-06-2003, 09:25 AM
The first time I tried Yoper (before I bought the CD set), the iso didn't work because of a bad CD. I think the best thing to try is to burn it to a different brand of CD - and hopefully it will work. :-)