PDA

View Full Version : Xtra's virus scanning

Mike
07-06-2003, 10:00 AM
How good do people think it is? I'm hoping people still do updates for their own virus checkers and keep them running and up-to-date. Surely Xtra's scanning can't be fool-proof?

Mike.

Jen C
07-06-2003, 10:14 AM
Most ISP's that offer antivirus scanning of emails always recommend that the customer still keep an up to date antivirus program running on their PC's.

Snip from Xtra's FAQ on antivirus scanning:

14. With Xtra's anti-virus email filter do I no longer need the existing anti-virus software I use?

You should still use other anti-virus protection as well. As outlined in the description of Xtra's anti-virus email filter, the service has limits and offers no guarantees that all email viruses will be detected or removed.

It is important to remember that viruses can also arrive by other means including via your Web browser, disks and files downloaded using FTP or peer-to-peer applications. Based on this, Xtra strongly recommends that you install and regularly run an anti-virus product on your computer as well.

I imagine that some people would only use the ISP's email antivirus scanner thinking that they are completely covered.

Southern_Man
07-06-2003, 11:49 AM
Xtra has found quite a few nasties and deleted them. As I haven't as yet had a email virus infection, I would say its pretty good

Mike
07-06-2003, 12:13 PM
> I imagine that some people would only use the ISP's
> email antivirus scanner thinking that they are
> completely covered.

Yes I'd assume so too - the reason I asked in the first place was because my dad's work connects through Xtra dial-up and received a big nasty the other day that their antivirus program I think managed to pick up eventually but Xtra didn't.

It's wise to be cautious :)

Mike.

Southern_Man
07-06-2003, 12:29 PM
> > I imagine that some people would only use the
> ISP's
> > email antivirus scanner thinking that they are
> > completely covered.
>
> Yes I'd assume so too - the reason I asked in the
> first place was because my dad's work connects
> through Xtra dial-up and received a big nasty the
> other day that their antivirus program I think
> managed to pick up eventually but Xtra didn't.
>
> It's wise to be cautious :)
>
> Mike.

Why didn't you just say that in the first place Mike instead of talking in riddles

Mike
07-06-2003, 12:33 PM
> Why didn't you just say that in the first place Mike instead of talking in riddles

Excuse me? I asked how I asked because I wanted to know what other people thought of it... is there a problem with that?

Mike.

stu140103
07-06-2003, 01:21 PM
> Yes I'd assume so too - the reason I asked in the
> first place was because my dad's work connects
> through Xtra dial-up and received a big nasty the
> other day that their antivirus program I think
> managed to pick up eventually but Xtra didn't.

Might be because it is a new virus & your dad was unlucky enough to get it before the xtra mail was updated with the new viruses defs.

Your dad was just unlucky

gerrypics
07-06-2003, 01:30 PM
Some people I do a bit of work for have xtra and have had two yaha viruses come through on the 25/5/03. Their AV did its job.