PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking a socket478 Intel CPU

Mike
07-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Is it possible? How?

Mike.

Lohsing
07-06-2003, 10:15 AM
I'm thinking you want to 'overclock' your P4? You can adjust the FSB in bios, but probably need to change a jumper setting on your motherboard to let you do this.

Do you have your motherboard manual?

Lo.

Mike
07-06-2003, 12:08 PM
No I don't want to overclock it :) I just want to unlock it so I can try some different clock settings. My motherboard manual says that if a certain option is unavailable it is because my CPU has been locked - that option is only available when the CPU is unlocked. I can change the FSB in the BIOS, but the option that is unavailable is the multiplier.

Mike.

Lohsing
07-06-2003, 12:14 PM
Oh i see... my flatmate did it to his P4 1.8Ghz... I'll ask him how he did it and let you know.

He's working today, but will post back tonight... I think his motherboard is the MSI 845 Ultra (Granite Bay one) but will let you know how he did it.

Lo.

Mike
07-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Thanks - I've got an Asus P4PE if it makes any difference :)

I'm not keen on overclocking, I just want to have a play with some of the other settings and I don't like being locked out :)

Mike.

Lohsing
07-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Nice board! I hear it is upgradeable and has 800mhz FSB support for the new P4 CPUs... really annoys me as I paid for the Gigabyte 8INXP and now 2 months later, find that my board won't support the new Intel chips... GRR!!

Anyway... getting back on topic... I'll find out and post back!

Lo.

Mike
07-06-2003, 12:33 PM
Didn't get the 800FSB version - just the 533 version :)

Mike.

John Grieve
07-06-2003, 12:54 PM
The P4s cannot be unlocked. The only way to get an unlocked P4 is to buy one directly from Intel and you have to be a manufacturer or developer of some sort to get one. If you have contacts in Intel you may get one if you are lucky.

I am not sure about the 533mhz P4s but the 800mhz CPUs are very very overclockable using good old FSB and voltage overclocks. Recent articles about overclocking the 2.4c P4 have managed to get the CPU as high as 4ghz (at the extreme end) but 3ghz seems to be easily achievable simply by using improved heatsink/fans from say Thermaltake (or lots of others).

I have a P4 2.4c which I clocked to 2.7ghz with the stock cooling provided by Intel. The new "c" series CPUs are the Celeron 300a all over again with the incredible overclockability of that famous old celeron and the 875P chipset (which is the top of range Intel chipset for 800mhz) is a screamer (I have the Asus P4C800 board) with heaps of overclocking potential.

Mike
07-06-2003, 01:53 PM
> The P4s cannot be unlocked.

Oh :) what about a Celeron - can they be unlocked?

Mike.

Lohsing
07-06-2003, 03:08 PM
I don't know how accurate the statement is that the P4's can't be unlocked... I've seen my flatmate's P4 1.8 running at a lower multiplier with a higher FSB... like I say, let me check...

Also, I am positive your P4PE can be flashed to support the 800Mhz P4's... I have the board on another PC and was talking about it with CTech Computers... Actually, a google search reveals this (http://www.achieva.com.au/news_p4pebios2.htm) page which you should read...

Let me check to see what my flatmate has done to his setup to let him adjust the multipliers, and I'll post back to you...

Lo.

Lohsing
07-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Ok... just got told from my flatmate that he has a P4 1.8A Willamette... which is multiplier unlocked.

Otherwise you'll find that the rest of the P4's are locked.

Lo.

-=JM=-
07-06-2003, 06:25 PM
I didn't think any of the Intel chips were unlocked unless you pretty much broke into Intel and stole one.

Don't be afraid to ramp up the FSB if they're anything like the P4 chips it should handle it fine.