PDA

View Full Version : Warning about Quickbooks

mikebartnz
07-06-2003, 12:09 AM
Hi there all
Recently bought a copy of Quickbooks 7.5 from the Wharehouse Stationary.
Initially using their registration process it didn't work at all and then after mucking around for a while I found I could register it on the NZ site ( the software sends you to Australia) but the problem was having opened the about box I saw no serial number ( but had I kept the window open long enough it would have appeared) so I entered the installation code. That was a mistake as they did not recognise it as an incorrect code so sent me a registration code that did not work. They then tell me I have to ring an Australian number to reregister it and that there will be an additional $9 fee ( assume Aus$).
Have tried to talk reason with them but they almost sound worse than MS. Below is a reply from one of their reps. I will also add that using their registration process it does not insert the serial number and having started you can not go back to the program to discover it.
I have never used cracked software but this occasion might almost change my mind about it.

>Hi Mike,

Please note that each time you re-install any Quicken software, the
programme generates a new serial number which you require a new registration number to be generated. If you require a new registration number you will have to contact our re-registrations line on 1902 226 522. Please note that there is a small $9 administration fee that applies for us to generate a new registration number for you. Also, please note that QuickBooks v7 is a sunsetted ( why not just call it unsupported) product which we no longer support being that the software is over 3 years old and has been supersceded by more than two versions. You will be required to fill out an acknowledgement and undertaking form to declare that you are fully aware that the software is no longer supported and that you are not installing the software on more computers than what you are licenced for.

The registration process is provided free of charge for the first installation. On an ongoing basis, we are required to re register software packages as a result of customer's hardware crashes, disc failures, additional installations etc. All this means that we, as a business, need to provide an infrastructure to facilitate these additional re registrations, which occur due to no fault of Quicken. Consequently, we incur a cost in providing this infrastructure, and have decided to pass this cost on.

I hope that this explains the nature and cause of this charge.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to email me.

Kind Regards,

Johann Florido
Quicken Australia
Reckon Ltd
Second Floor, Building B
Citywest Office Park
35 Saunders Street
Pyrmont NSW 2009
Australia

Email: johann.florido@quicken.com.au
Phone 02 9577 5000
Fax 02 9577 5557

godfather
07-06-2003, 12:24 AM
Shocking story!
I will remember that company....

I assume the software was on *special*? If not, I would go back to the Warehouse Stationery store and compain about selling an obsolete version, that is unsupported.

If it was remaindered at a cheap price then it's caveat emptor I guess. But I will still avoid such software companies in the future.

mikebartnz
07-06-2003, 12:40 AM
I will say the software is a good product. I could have gone for the Cashbook Complete on the PCWorld cd but decided to spend another $250 more but I could not justify spending more than $350 for a product in which I could do most of it within my Wordperfect office package. The product was on special but why didn't Quicken pull it from the shelves if they weren't going to support it. I don't think you can blame the Wharehouse Stationary for it as Quicken should have known about it.

Mike
07-06-2003, 09:53 AM
> why didn't Quicken pull it from the shelves if they
> weren't going to support it. I don't think you can
> blame the Wharehouse Stationary for it as Quicken
> should have known about it.

Quicken don't pull products from Warehouse Stationery's shelves - that's the job of the Warehouse Stationery people. WS should have known it was obsolete when they sold it and I believe are required by law to tell you that it is an unsupported product. The onus is with WS to get the job done properly.

Mike.

mikebartnz
07-06-2003, 12:04 PM
Yes Mike but were the WS informed that it was now unsupported. I also wonder who they aquired it from. I didn't know it was unsupported until Quicken informed me and I was not even worried about support only about legally registering it

Mike
07-06-2003, 01:11 PM
> Yes Mike but were the WS informed that it was now
> unsupported. I also wonder who they aquired it from.
> I didn't know it was unsupported until Quicken
> informed me and I was not even worried about support
> only about legally registering it

It is still WS's responsibility - the version you got is something like 3 years old, so either they're selling old stock, or they ordered in old stock to sell cheaply - you'll probably find that they are also selling the new version as are places like Dick Smith and Noel Leemings (Dick Smith here in Tauranga has a 98/99 version alongside a 2002 version of Quicken for roughly the same price!). If they sell you something that is out of date they are responsible for letting you know - if they don't know its out of date then it's their problem that they need to sort out.

Mike.

Muzzer
07-06-2003, 03:05 PM
I agree with Mike. WS should have their act together re functionality of the products they sell, are they ok for their intended use? If Intuit (Quicken/Quickbooks) have not informed their retailers then it is up to the retailer to take this up with their supplier on behalf of the consumer.

Having said that, I purched Quickbooks pro V5 in 1996 or 97 and was disappointed by the level of support for a $1k product and what was required on the upgrade cycle. My memory is that to get an upgrade to V6 I had to virtually repurchase the product. I have no major problems with the product itself.

Cheers Murray P

wuppo
07-06-2003, 06:34 PM
>Please note that each time you re-install any Quicken software, the
>programme generates a new serial number which you require a new >registration number to be generated.

Interesting... I use Quickbooks 7.5 and have used the same rego number on several re-installations. (Print out the file "Licence.qbl" in the INET folder below the Quickbooks program folder).

BTW. Dick Smith is offering Quickbooks V6 on clearance :|

mikebartnz
12-06-2003, 12:58 AM
What ever you people think I still think it stinks that I have to pay more money to register a program when their registration software did not work properly. Interestingly I also sent a letter to PCWorld and Chris Keal sent a reply back saying I replied too soon and yet I am at a total loss as to why he said that and he has not yet enlightened me about his reply because I have had nothing from Quicken to change my mind about this. Surely the registration process should have known the difference between an installtion code and a serial number. To me what normal business could get away with this. Not a lot I would guess because the public would not stand for it and yet they will from a software company for some reason.
The warning still stands that with the latest Quickbooks upon each install you will have to pay for it. Even MS do not charge for reactivating XPee.

mikebartnz
12-06-2003, 01:04 AM
I am sorry Mike but in my opinion it is Quickens responsibilty as they should know who is distributing their product so it is their responsibilty to pull it from the shelves. I find it amusing how people today view responsibilty. It is the instigator that is respnsible.

Elephant
12-06-2003, 02:04 AM
I am interested in this thread.

Before you buy software whether it is a version of Windows, DOS, Linux or O/S2 as an operating system or MSOfficeXP, StarOffice, DoomII, FlightSim95 or FlightSim2002 as an application it is over to you.

You are the one paying the MONEY after all and YOU are the only person that decides whether the software meets your needs.

Software support can only go so far IMHO.

Microsoft has been held back earlier by trying to make everything backward compatible. They have done a good job so far. I have floppy disks with Works2 (for DOS 3.3 or DOS 5) files *.wps and *.wdb which are now read using Works6 under WinXP.

I have met people who go to The Warehouse and try to install a game for a Mac on the IBM compatible PC.

Questions you need to ask yourself:_

1. Does it do what I want?

2. Do I need support?

3. Do I have the right hardware?

These are for example.

There are still trade laws in NZ that will allow you to return the product.

For mikebartnz I would suggest if you are not happy then return the product to The Warehouse and stop using it if it does not work for you.

I saw ( and installed ) a copy of OS/2 Warp here wich came off a Magazine Cover disk. Did I expect support? NO!!!!! The magazine cost about $12.00.

Think about it.

Mike
12-06-2003, 08:15 AM
Quicken (Intuit) still supply OLD software to retailers for sale, and the retailers are supposed to know it's an old product. The supply it to many many shops and I believe most if not all of these shops know it's old and say so when they sell the product - so WS have stuffed up in your case.

Mike.

mikebartnz
12-06-2003, 01:57 PM
I do not want support but I do want to get a valid registration code. As I said before it is a good program and is suitable for my needs and will be for quite a few years. I am interested in reviewing Linux options though.