PDA

View Full Version : Win95 and Word2000 crashing

Berryb
06-06-2003, 09:31 PM
Friends Win95 computer is crashing when Word 2000 starts. Get the slash screen then crashes and locks everything but mouse. Eventually an error message appears saying the system is low on resources and cannot run Word and then I have to reset PC. The PC is a Duron 850, 128 ram 18gig hard drive (16gig free). I have used system monitor and the processor is only using 5%. Is running latest update for Nortons and found no virus. Have disabled Nortons but made no difference. Have repaired and reinstalled Word and have End Task on all opened programs via ctrl alt delete.
Have tried Spybot and Adware but will not run on Win95 until I update a few things but I do not believe it is spyware as Spybot got far enough through it scan to say no spyware found before it crashed.
My next step is to reinstall the OS, update IE to the latest. Any other ideas before I go back attempt to get this sucker fixed.
Remember Win95 does not have a MSConfig option from Run
Thanks

stu140103
06-06-2003, 09:49 PM
Have you tried Reinstalling Word????

If that does not help then reinstalling the OS would be worth a shot.

Or seen your OS is very old you should think about upgrading to Win 98 SE or Win ME or even something Higher.....

stu140103
06-06-2003, 09:51 PM
>update IE to the
> latest.

Note: IE 6.0 does not like Win 95 :( so you will need to find IE 5.5 or something like that.

Jim B
06-06-2003, 10:09 PM
This procedure fixes many problems with Word

With Word closed.

Go to Start--> Find or Search --> Files or Folders and search for normal.dot

When it finds this file, select it and delete it. Word will automtically create a new one for you the next time you open it up.