PDA

View Full Version : How low and slow can Kbps get?

beetle
06-06-2003, 06:17 PM
hi me here
up till now on my dial up connection i constantly got 48 Kbps without fail.

put this new phone system in and the highest i get is 31 Kbps,

it gets as low as 28 Kbps

how much lower will it get before it will disconnect or freeze ? will it do that?

and yes i know the new system suxs out the life for my net surfing so may have to do a rethink on jet stream here.

apart from being slow and frustrating it is working fine i think

i need a refresh button on me i think not just the puter....... LOL

:D :p

beetle

robsonde
06-06-2003, 06:21 PM
31Kbps is quite slow.
as for the speed of the modem it will switch down to 14.4Kbps and still connect.

most ISPs will not let you connect at less than 9.6Kbps but your modem will go all the way down to 0.3Kbps :-)

if you get less than 36Kbps then I would hassel you telecom people and see what can be done to get more speed.

hope that answers your question.

beetle
06-06-2003, 06:28 PM
after being at 48 Kbps for the life of my net connection, 31 seems to be from the ark........

i hope it wont get any slower, ill talk to the people who put our system in and get them to do a bit of fixing i think.....
why pay dollars for something which in turn makes internet worse, as i live for the net..... i mean i live to work.....LOL :D

but i will check all my plugs and lines here to, and disconect extra phones, to see if theres a change.

beetle

godfather
06-06-2003, 06:29 PM
beetle, I wonder if Telecom put a "pair gaining" system on the incoming line(s) when you installed the phone system?

Or are you using an analogue circuit that connects through the new exhange (keyswitch) unit?

Either of these possibilities could affect the speed of the line. I would suspect the latter, with the new keyswitch unit limiting data speed.

beetle
06-06-2003, 06:51 PM
youve lost me................?

a what switch?

not sure what they did but we can access our homeline through our business line if we out the front when our home phone rings....
i think that has something to do with it.
and we now have to dial one to get out on our home line....so had to alter computer dial out numbers but also had problems on the line because they put a toll block on it and a kiddie block whatever that is.

so all is not what it seems
its not quite straight forward as first thought and our computer with callista on it has to be upgraded and replaced cos it only just works with that being the only program on it and they put more ram in it.
just too old im afraid.

beetle

godfather
06-06-2003, 07:04 PM
Thats confirmed it, I think.
The new "phone system" in the Motel requires that you dial "1" to get an "outside line" on your home line right?

Thats because the "home line" is actually going through the Motel system "keyswitch, PABX, phone system" or whatever you want to call it.

Its likely that this is what is limiting your speed now, and probably nothing you can do about it.
In fact you should feel lucky, as one I installed years ago would not allow connects speeds over 2k

Unless you divorce the home line completely from the business system, you may not be able to cure it.

Peter Coleman - where are you? Our resident Telephone expert is needed.

robsonde
06-06-2003, 07:26 PM
one option might be to get a line just for internet.

only cost $20 a month

beetle
06-06-2003, 11:23 PM
ok explain that one for me how do i get a net line for only $20 ?

top speed here is 31.2 kbps doing well, at this momnet in time

beetle

-=JM=-
06-06-2003, 11:31 PM
You could have one phoneline that doesn't go through the PABX.

Peter Coleman
07-06-2003, 12:07 AM
Thank you Godfather,but I better not read that comment too often as I will never get my swelled head through the door.Any way,yes the problem will be the PABX.You may be able to fix it by running a jack direct off the line,before it goes into the PABX,so you don't have to dial 1 on that jack.Doesn't always work,as the phone system is still across the line,loading it up,but at least you aren't going through the system.The other option is to wire a switch on the jack,an in/out switch,and run a wire to the jack and back to the PABX,and when you flick the switch,it cuts off that line back to the PABX,so in effect you have a direct line with just the PC on it.Can be messy,but it works.

Peter

beetle
07-06-2003, 12:13 AM
remember keep it simple and no hassles this end so messyness is not an option, and the phone system and computer are at different ends of the house so ?

the home line was put in especially for the net at the start so this is now not what was first envisionged......

any other ideas?

im sure ill find that big hammer one day soon and have some fun with it on some items round here that cause major frustration.......LOL :p

:D
still running nicely at 31.2kbps

beetle

beetle
07-06-2003, 12:33 AM
another question : will this homeline incur business rate charges if used as it is?

interwoven as such with business phone?

am i going to have a time / line bill for my net time on my phone bill ?

if so that has jumped the price of my net as it were and defeats the purpose of having a home line...?!?

beetle

Peter Coleman
07-06-2003, 12:46 AM
If your line is classed as a residential line,then you won't get charged by time.Check your bill,I think it will say somewhere on that whether it is business or residential.It doesnt matter if your residential line is on your PABX,as Telecom doesn't know what you have on the end of it.

Peter

beetle
07-06-2003, 01:07 AM
thank you

beetle

Thomas
07-06-2003, 08:51 AM
I gather from the discussion that Kbps is governed entirely by the phone line and has nothing to do with what we have done with our computers?
I say that as I have always had 48 and now round 38.

beetle
07-06-2003, 11:49 AM
so what have you changed?

i had the feeling that your computer will slow down if you have lots of things running in the back ground, i may be wrong. programs and such you set and forget like. making it work harder?

mine is entirely phone connections because i have not added or changed anything.

such a large drop from 48 to 28 for me is very frustrating but will talk to them on monday, and see if they can change anything for me.

other than that i either have to live with it or put a fifth line in.......
just for the net.

beetle

mejobloggs
07-06-2003, 04:42 PM
ha, i got 700 bps at school. Or whatever it is. half a kilobyte. Its impossible to do anything on the net then.

Graham L
07-06-2003, 04:57 PM
If you have four lines coming in, three business and one residential, all going into the PABX, you could probablyu have the home line permanently connected to the "home", including your computer. That will have the problem that you couldn't grab business calls coming in from "home", unless you put in another phone there, and a line of its OWN FORM THE PABX>

beetle
07-06-2003, 10:56 PM
LOST?
i do have work phones every where all over my house, just no home ones every where, one up and one down stairs.
and i have a cordless in my pocket for when we go over the other side ....motel units so cant get away from them, even have a mobile for instant callback when out.....come back to work again......

isnt that what i have?

everything going into pabx?

the thing that gets me is if im here by myself i can only answer one line at a time and i cant talk to all at the same time and i hate being on hold myself so am loath to do it to someone else.

may need to bite the bullet and get a line solely for the net.....or cable....:p :D dreams are free.

beetle :D