PDA

View Full Version : Games...

Scottie
06-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Hey everyone,

I am not really the gaming type but my friend has asked me to get him some games for his PC.

However I am not totally sure where the best place is to get them from. I frequently use Kazaa but there doesnt seem to be many games available on there.

Just wondering if someone knows where i can get them from or if there is another peer to peer application that has more than what kazaa does.

I appreciate any help.

Cheers.

Chilling_Silently
06-06-2003, 03:15 PM
http://www.dse.co.nz

Scottie
06-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Dont want to sound cheap but I was wanting to get some for free if possible.

But thanks for the response anyway.

Lohsing
06-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Sorry dude... this board doesn't really condone software piracy...

Lo.

Chilling_Silently
06-06-2003, 03:45 PM
I know.. and I hate to be the kill-joy, but that's not the sorta thing we really endorse around here ;-)

http://www.americasarmy.com may be what you're after.. a free to download FPS game :-)

tango
06-06-2003, 03:49 PM
i would help you out but i'd probably get yelled at for it...try another board, doesn'y need to be nz.

Scottie
06-06-2003, 03:52 PM
anyone can email me with suggestions at sweet_az_u@hotmail.com

metla
06-06-2003, 05:19 PM
Activision have just released a free standalone return to castle wolfenstien mulitiplayer game.

Apperently a comercial product that was cancelled,all reviews of it say shes a sweet game.

Jetstream games have it available on there ftp.

ftp://ftp.jetstreamgames.co.nz/pub/wolf/ET/WolfET.exe

fergie
06-06-2003, 05:25 PM
dude, y don't you just go out and buy them, like everyone else does (or, should do)
check out this site for games at great prices:
http://www.gpstore.co.nz
or else try trademe, they will have 2nd hand games on there for bargins.
cheers

valiantnz
06-06-2003, 11:17 PM
http://www.ozfiles.net/index.php?action=file&id=538
heres a free version of GTA3. And Americas Army and the new Wolfenstien game Enemy Territory are as good as it gets for free. Thats 3 great games for free, just hope your mate has the hardware to run them,lol. The enemy territory game doesn't need RTCW installed to work. You can't buy better really.

valiantnz
06-06-2003, 11:25 PM
PS, make sure you use a download manager to download those games so you can resume the download when you have to diconnect or something. Especially if you are on a 56k dial up connection.
PPS, Any other games you or your mate want you will have to buy. Don't trust warez sites as they are all rubbishy ad bombing, spyware infested sites, whos links lead you to more of the same. Trust me, I know.
Support the gaming industry and buy the original of the games you really like. (new or secondhand, Trademe is great.)

Blue_face
07-06-2003, 01:29 AM
Y dont u just buy the NZ PC World monthly? The cd that comes with the mag has quite a few free demos. Demo is still games! :D

Southern_Man
07-06-2003, 01:26 PM
My grandkids tell me there are heaps of fun games you can access on the internet. Try a search in Google for "Free Games"

PoWa
07-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Hey Metla, I downloaded wolfenstein -enemy territory from JSGames. I tried it out and there doesn't seem to be any servers to play on???

Am I doing something wrong or are there actually no servers? :p Has jetstream set up a server for the game yet?

Iain Walmsley
07-06-2003, 11:03 PM
Maybe the game is free but use of the server costs... wouldnt that be a neat trick ;)

Iain

Dylan
07-06-2003, 11:10 PM
i buy most of my games from www.gpstore.co.nz

great online discounts.

metla
08-06-2003, 12:15 AM
> Hey Metla, I downloaded wolfenstein -enemy territory
> from JSGames. I tried it out and there doesn't seem
> to be any servers to play on???
>
> Am I doing something wrong or are there actually no
> servers? :p Has jetstream set up a server for the
> game yet?

Yeah,i jumped on a couple Jetstream servers earlier,and was then immediatly booted off.Looking at the lobby it seemed that all the servers were running a modem filter(Automaticly boots modem users).

Poor me.

Seemed to be at least 100 servers when i checked,doubt ill actually get to play the game now though.

Did you hit "refresh servers'?

Maybe you have a firewall blocking the game?

sam m
08-06-2003, 12:29 AM
> Hey Metla, I downloaded wolfenstein -enemy territory
> from JSGames. I tried it out and there doesn't seem
> to be any servers to play on???
>
> Am I doing something wrong or are there actually no
> servers? :p Has jetstream set up a server for the
> game yet?

I downloaded and played ok on jetstart although I had no idea what I was doing so I baled.
There were a few setup options like connection choices and profiles that you had to set up first before connecting.
I didnt see a single player option so might have to read the instructions first. Game looked good though.
Thanks metla for the link.

sam m

valiantnz
08-06-2003, 02:59 AM
Some of the servers are running Punk Buster (anti cheat program) which you have to enable in the online server browser screen before joining a game. You only have to do this once. There are a few NZ servers , about 5 I think.Hit "get new list" and "refresh" to get an up to date list of game servers. Hit the word "PING" in the ingame server browser to sort the games by their latency(ping) lower is better. It is a multi player only game. I have seen 2 or 3 xtra severs and 2 jetstream servers. it's a great world we live in when awsome games like this can be played for and downloaded for free. it plays OK on a dialup to depending on how good your dialup connection is. Try joining games with less than 20 players if you are only on a 56k connection.
Now if I can just get my Americas Army game to log on to the NZ Inspirenet server I could be playing another great game for free.

Dylan
08-06-2003, 08:15 PM
the ocnz people (forums.overclockers.co.nz) have been bugging Inspire about the AA server too. It seems to be unable to autheticate people or something. b a good idea to get it running.

PoWa
08-06-2003, 09:58 PM
My firewall has been set to allow always for the Game. I cannot see a 'Get new Server list' button only a refresh server list one.

On jetstreamgames server there were 3 other files or something in the Enemy territory directory. Was I supposed to download those as well? I just downloaded the main .exe one and it installed fine??

I have enabled the punkbuster, still nothing

metla
08-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Your right,the button to hit is the refresh servers,but it automaticlly does that anyway when you launch the game.

I only downloaded the wolfte.exe file i linked to and it runs how it should,just played a couple rounds(i mean i wandered round like a sheep while other players took turns killing me untill i was laughed out of the game)

....................HA

Sorry,i cant help.

But you maybe able to find the ip of the jetstream servers and join by that means,the lobby does have a join by ip button.

Ill head back into the game and see if i can get em for ya.

PoWa
08-06-2003, 10:36 PM
Thanks Metla that would be great :)

metla
08-06-2003, 10:48 PM
the 2 servers with the lowest ping(for me anyway) were

Jetstreamgames-203.96.91.13:27960

Xtra-203.96.92.115:27965

Dunno what the relevence of the numbers after the : are but thats how they were listed.

metla
08-06-2003, 10:49 PM
Now,how did i manage to write that in bold?

PoWa
09-06-2003, 12:29 AM
Thanks metla.

I think the numbers after the : are the port it runs on???

Anyway I managed to find ut what the problem was. My firewall had messed up, and I had to remove every program rule and then recreate some to get it working. So I can see all the servers now :)

I had 10games or so, quite good I must say. Getting in the tank is fun haha. I had trouble remembering who was who and kept shooting my teammates :p