PDA

View Full Version : alternatives either than mailwasher??

yingxuan
06-06-2003, 11:33 AM
Are there any other programs out there either than mailwasher that can bounce back email stating that it is a unknown email address?

fergie
06-06-2003, 11:49 AM
wots wrong with mailwasher?

argus
06-06-2003, 12:00 PM
Not worth doing, and not very positively regarded these days.

The addresses on spam will, 90% of the time be either totally ficititious or, worse, the address of a randomly selected real individual who has nothing to do with the issuing of the spam message.

In the latter case you will merely be annoying that person and, effectively, becoming almost a spammer yourself. In the former, you will merely get a bounce yourself, which could go back and forth endlessly, contributing to your own spam load.

Some people and organisations inexplicably assaulted by reject messages respond by cutting off the sender. Put that together with misidentification of a genuine message as spam and/or, the ease with which you can tick the wrong box in Mailwasher (I find it so, anyway) and you have a recipe for disaster. I have in the past inadvertently 'blacklisted' my immediate boss - who became genuinely puzzled as to why his subsequent messages to my home address were being bounced - and InternetNZ, which responded by taking me off its mailing lists.

I now go religiously through my Mailwasher ratings UNticking any ticks in the "bounce" boxes. Is there a one-step way of eliminating them all; ie destroying your "blacklist"?

As recorded elsewhere, I have considerable faith in another local product, Death2Spam, and others which employ a "Bayesian" algorithm to identify messages resembling ones you have previously flagged as spam. D2S doesn't bounce messages.

Bouncing ain't worth it. It buys you nothing; all that can be said for it is that it pleases an instinct for revenge; but that revenge is often levied on the wrong people.

Argus

godfather
06-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Well said Argus.

While bouncing may make one feel better, it does nothing for the speed of the internet in general, and the cost that is eventually passed on to us, the consumer, for the extra data that is carried for no result.

Its actually quite irresponsible to bounce spam, as it penalises everyone except the spammer in the long run.

Spacemannz
06-06-2003, 10:45 PM
Use Spampal. www.spampal.org. It's free. It doesn't bounce emails, BUT can do blacklisting (u can blacklist a whole isp, as well), if you get spams from a certain isp. And u can add friendly email addresses to it. So, the ppl you know can still send emails to you.

bmason
06-06-2003, 11:03 PM
popfile is good too, although its for filtering only.

You have to train it initially, but it gets bloody good at detecting spam very quickly. And requires very little intervention after.

It can also be used for sorting mail into other categories. I have personal, work, spam, and lists.

Southern_Man
07-06-2003, 09:47 AM
I just delete every every email I get that has a spam-like subject line, without opening them!

They are not hard to spot!

And in Outlook Express, you are able to automatically block & delete from the offending spam mail sender

stu140103
07-06-2003, 12:35 PM
> And in Outlook Express, you are able to automatically
> block & delete from the offending spam mail sender.

Sort of not true: all the block mail goes in too the delete items folder then you have you delete them manually.

heaton
07-06-2003, 12:42 PM
Sort of not true: all the block mail goes in too the delete items folder then you have you delete them manually.

Not if you configure your mail to " delete all deleted items at closedown ".
Cheers.....heaton

Southern_Man
07-06-2003, 12:46 PM
> > And in Outlook Express, you are able to
> automatically
> > block & delete from the offending spam mail
> sender.
>
> Sort of not true: all the block mail goes in too the
> delete items folder then you have you delete them
> manually.
>

Glad there is someone here with your experience stu140103 to correct the way I originally answered the topic. We can all get a good nights sleep

Spacemannz
07-06-2003, 02:09 PM
Well spampal is good. When it picks up **SPAM** I've just made a rule, as soon as it picks SPAM up, it deletes it from the ISP server. I never see it. Which is good. Saves me deleting it!