PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive

lynx
04-06-2003, 09:28 PM
Hi,
I have a maxtor gigs hard drive and I had mandrake 9.0 on it. I then installed window XP.

However now when I boot the pc, on ram check, the hard drive size is aprox gigs but then on the next screen which displays system information like cdrom, master/slave drives etc the size of the HD is 1.56gig. I have used auto detect but this show 1.56gig. I tried to reinstall mandrake hoping that it would pick up the drive with mandrake but no luck. I have used partition magic 8.0 but it only shows 1.56gig.

Is there any way of retrieving the missing drive space or should i just throw the HD away.

Any suggestion or help appreciated

lynx

Billy T
04-06-2003, 09:47 PM
Hi Lynx

It would help if you could tell us how big your HDD is supposed to be. I think you accidentally left that vital bit of info out and all we know is that you are left with 1.56 GB.

Actually, if it wasn't much bigger (say 2.1 GB) then it is pretty long in the tooth now and maybe you should consider buying a new one.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

lynx
06-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention that the hard drive is a maxtor 8gig

TicToc
11-06-2003, 06:42 PM
Partition Magic only shows 1.5GB??? Are you sure? Or are you just referrng to the Windows partition? Does it not show your Linux partition too? If so, how much space is that taking up? Around 6.5GB perhaps...