PDA

View Full Version : ES1868 Sound Card and Windows 95 - 1/4 Sec Loop

pmchapman
04-06-2003, 09:54 PM
Hi.
After reinstalling Windows 95 using the original drivers and disks which were supplied with my computer and I never changed, all wave sounds in Windows 95 loop the first 1/4 second endlessly. MIDI files and CD Audio are not affected. The sound worked perfectly before. I have checked connections inside the case and used various versions of drivers I found on the Internet, including the latest from the ESS to no avail. The sound worked perfectly before. The sound card has written on the side ES1868F.

My computer is a Pentium 166 with a SiS graphics card and 32MB RAM with a 1 GB hard disk. I believe the version of Windows to be Windows 95A with the USB suppliment installed. I did try to install Windows 95 OSR 2.1, but it did not improve the situation. The sound card worked perfectly on a friends computer.

Thank you.

Peter Chapman

Terry Porritt
04-06-2003, 10:14 PM
These cards are notoriously difficult to get going easily, I know full well, I have an Eagle ES 1868F on my backup computer and it has a bit of a mind of its own especially in Win98 for which it wasnt designed, they cant make up their minds whether to be full or half duplex.

I remember with Win95B (OSR2.1), the best way when doing an OS re-install was to leave the card plugged in and let Windows detect it during the install and set the IRQ and resources, rather than trying to load the drivers afterwards. Im almost sure that Win95B has drivers for it.

You also need to look in Device Manager to see if there are any exclamation marks against the device, and whether it is reported to be working properly (that doesnt always mean it is though).

You could always try manually changing resources, if it says you cant you may have to go into CMOS setup and change the Peripherals from auto to manual.

Since Win 95B doesnt support USP properly, if you dont need it remove/disable USB altogether, it can cause problems.

Best advice, keep fiddling with it and best of luck :)

pmchapman
04-06-2003, 10:19 PM
Thank you.
THe card was not detected during setup, so I installed the drivers later though Device Manager and it seemed to work fine. The sound still had the problem before I added the USB update and I have just tried changing resources to no success :-(

There were no exclaimation amrks, in fact Windows thought everything was Hunky-Dory. ESS Tech Support Haven't Even Replied After 10 Days :-( :-(

CYaBro
05-06-2003, 10:34 AM
Have had this problem before and it was the ESS sound card using the wrong IRQ.

Have you tried changing this?

I usually set it to IRQ 5 as this is almost always free.
Also check I/O is 220 (or 240 sometimes works)
DMA should be 1 (and 5 if it gives the option of 2)