PDA

View Full Version : Windows Explorer will not launch

allanc
04-06-2003, 09:32 PM
I have Windows XP Professional with SP1 installed in a Pentium IV with lots of RAM and HD space. A large amount of unrestricted material could potentially be downloaded onto it, and a large number of games have been installed. The problem is that none of the common methods of launching Windows Explorer works (right clicking the Start menu, pressing Windows key - E, opening My Computer, from the command prompt. I can, however, browse for files when creating a desktop shortcut and Windows Explorer opens correctly when in Safe Mode.
I have no System Restore point I can restore to that fixes the problem. Reinstalling Windows on top of the current installation made no difference. Because Explorer works in Safe Mode, I do not think a virus is present (though that may be wrong) but I cannot check this as I have removed Norton SystemWorks and Antivirus 2003 because I understand these applications can cause problems. I have removed everything else that looks doubtful but the problem remains - any help would be appreciated.
I really don't want to format the drive and no, it's not my computer...

stu140103
04-06-2003, 10:23 PM
>but I cannot
> check this as I have removed Norton SystemWorks and
> Antivirus 2003 because I understand these
> applications can cause problems.

I am not two sure about Norton SystemWorks, but I know that Norton Antivirus 2003 should not cause you any problems, if you want to check your compute for viruses then have a look atAVG (http://www.grisoft.com/)(it works in XP & it is free!)

yingxuan
05-06-2003, 03:50 PM
I reckon u should install nsw bak on and run windoctor.!!!B-)
I use nsw and nav.They both work fine!!!

Pheonix
05-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Why install systemworks when it runs off the CD quite happily. You just don't have the facility to restore whatever it did. I have used Windoctor from CD (2000,2002,2003) without a single problem. In fact, it is the second thing I do after Spybot and ad-aware, for clean/maintenance work.

Pheonix
05-06-2003, 04:11 PM
Now back to the problem. Have you tried downloading and running Spybot and ad-aware. Then another great one is regcleaner or jv16 powertools ( another free download).

Peter Cox
05-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Hi, If one of the applications downloaded has created a file association with the file extension .SCF this can cause windows explorer to behave strangely because the file explorer.scf is used to pass commands to explorer.exe and some of the more common ways of launching explorer actually point to explorer.scf.
To test this go START, RUN, type in C:\windows\explorer.exe and enter.
Explorer should launch OK.
Then try START, RUN, C:\windows\explorer.scf and enter.
This should also launch explorer in a different view.
If 1. works but 2. fails check Folder Options File Types for the file extension SCF, in my version of XP Pro it does not appear at all.
If it appears in your file type list you should be able to identify the application it is associated with. Please let us know how you get onwith the above tests.
HTH PC