PDA

View Full Version : 3Com 3C905TX Network Card Won't Install On Windows XP

geo2000
04-06-2003, 08:51 PM
I am having trouble installing my 3Com 3C905TX Network Card on Windows XP Pro. I slotted it into my PCI slot, and Windows did detect it, but comes up with the error "This device cannot start. (Code 10)", in Device Manager.

I tried powering down my comp, reseating the Network card, and Windows detected the modem again, but the same result. I have tried seating the network card in my other 4 PCI slots, but still the same thing happens.

I have also tried using updated drivers from 3Com's website, but it still happens. I haven't been able to find out anything else about this problem on 3Com's knowledge base. I'm not too sure whether this has anything to do with my IRQ settings, but I hope not.

Any suggestions??????

Terry Porritt
04-06-2003, 09:22 PM
It sounds like a resource conflict. If it was Win98, and XP may be the same, I'd manually assign resources rather than having the use automatic settings box checked, having first looked at where the IRQs are assigned.

whetu
04-06-2003, 10:26 PM
due to the magic of ACPI you cannot manually define IRQ's under 2k/xp unless it is a serious resource conflict.

If it is serious, you can go into the devices' properties from device manager, and select the resource tab. It's fairly self explanatory. However if your options are greyed out, you'll have to do a bit more work:

Restart and go into your bios and disable any onboard devices that you arent using.. serial ports, your parallel port.. whatever you arent using, disable it. This will stop the bios from assigning resources to something that wont be used, then when you boot into windows it should see the new free resources and assign them to your NIC...

Also take a shot at putting the NIC into another PCI slot... you should work on the theory that resource sharing comes in pairs:
AGP and PCI slot 1 share resources, PCI slot 2 and 3 share resources, 4 and 5 share and so on... (It isnt always like this, but its a pretty good rule of thumb) the other advantage of having your cards spaced apart is you get adequate airflow around your cards, keeping them colder...

If none of that works and you are really determined to get the NIC going, you'll have to reinstall your HAL from ACPI to Standard PC. There's plenty of brief how-to's floating about on the internet... however if you do get to this stage just yell and I'll point you in the right direction...

geo2000
06-06-2003, 11:19 PM
Hey Thanks for the suggestions Whetu. I tried them but they did not work. Not too worry, I got another network card from a friend, a realtek. Simple as, just slotted it in and I was up and running in 5 minutes - the way it was meant to be. Besides, it just wasn't worth it going through hours and hours of troubleshooting. Thanks for the help.