04-06-2003, 07:34 PM
i did another trial
downloading a 13.6Mb file
DU Meter said 13.5Mb
and the window log said 14Mb

any suggestions...?

Chilling_Silently
04-06-2003, 07:40 PM
Have you run a Spyware check, and eliminated all but the absolutely neccesary processes, just in case they're accessing the internet... That does seem a little high for Overhead?

Steve Askew
04-06-2003, 08:35 PM
DU Meter can also come in very handy to monitor whether some dangerous unknown activity is occurring while you are online. How can you tell whether data is either being uploaded to or downloaded from your computer behind the scenes while you are online? You get some idea of data flow when using your browser, email or FTP program, but what happens if some unknown application has installed itself and is sending or receiving data without you knowing about it? Obviously this is NOT something you want to think about, but it happens to people every day. Also, if you are on a LAN or local network, you can immediately see if someone is accessing your computer and transferring information.

How do you know the file was 144mb? :D

Cheers Steve

heni72847
04-06-2003, 09:42 PM
i left click on the file i downloaded and it said it was 144Mb

i was more thinking along the line of the different ways of measuring the usage
is there different methods and do they give out different results??

Chilling_Silently
04-06-2003, 09:53 PM
...Just to clarify, what exactly is this "Modem/Window Log" you speak of please?

godfather
04-06-2003, 10:00 PM
The actual file will be subject to compression by the modem, and inflation by the error correction and dropped packets (if any) that are re-sent.

Your results may include upload control data as well. Or not.

The result will depend on the composition of a file, plus (as above) any other data that tags along legitimately (as in trickle updates) or not.

I note that sending a file by e-mail, a 1 MB Excel file becomes about 1.25 MB after encoding, as reported by Eudora.

In a sense all your reports could be correct, depending exactly where in the process the measurement is taken.