PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix on Hd

Kjaada
04-06-2003, 04:22 PM
I have installed Knoppix on the Hd on a laptop but:
It does not detect my external Dynalink Modem but it did when working from the disk.
Also how can i get it to read CD'S so i can down load RPM's?

Chilling_Silently
04-06-2003, 04:51 PM
Is the CD-ROM drive being mounted?

You should be able to open the K menu, select Knoppix, then root terminal.
type the following:
# mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
that should mount your CD-ROM drive, although you may be able to simply do it by right-clicking on an empty part of your desktop.

Im not too sure about the modem though sorry.

Just curious, did you install it using the method's they mention on the CD, or did you deviate from it... or go for a completely different approach?

Cheers

Chill.

Chilling_Silently
04-06-2003, 04:52 PM
Something you can try to make sure its picking up your CD-Rom etc..
Pop in a CD, and type the following from a root console:
# /sbin/hdparm -tT /dev/cdrom

Your CD-ROM should start spinning up. If it does, then you know you simply need to mount the drive!

Kame
04-06-2003, 04:58 PM
What type of connection is your Dynalink modem, serial/usb/ethernet?

Depending on the interface your modem may not need to be specifically identified unless it's a USB device. There were plenty of options of setting up network and ppp in Knoppix when I last played around with it so you should be able to do that without a problem, USB however maybe different.

RPMs? Isn't Knoppix based on Debian which would use Deb packages not RPMs. I'm not sure if they are interoperable as I haven't tried it out yet.

I'm just remastering Knoppix now making it suitable just for the machine I'm running it on and what tasks I want it to do, was thinking about trying to see if I could make a Live CD with RH9 instead of Debian as I've had little experience with it and it doesn't like my computer for some reason.

Chilling_Silently
04-06-2003, 05:05 PM
Yes, it is Debian-based.. Ive tried installing programs using rpm's before from Live on CD... threw up a good number of errors for the 5 that I tried..
Installing apps using tarball files was fine.
It Did pick up what an rpm was, and try and install it... Just didnt work?
Mind you, this was with the PCWorld cut-down version... I should try it with my Full copy of Knoppix...

Kame>
If you ever get anywhere with RedHat 9, I would Love to know! :-) I use RH also :-)

Kame
04-06-2003, 05:27 PM
There's already been a RH based one made 7.3 I think except it's not kept uptodate like Knoppix. I am going to get that one and see how they did it from that. Especially if I can cut down the 3 CDs to just one CD would do me. Basically I think all they used was the Knoppix Cloop Compression.

I don't mind Debian it's just I'm not that familiar with it although I wouldn't mind giving it a go later on. I will let you know how it goes. I hope I can do all of RH9 on just one CD but I may need to remove some things that aren't needed. Different languages would be my first option to remove.