PDA

View Full Version : BIOS

GNixon
04-06-2003, 03:54 PM
Is there anywhere in Auckland that I can get my BIOS chip reprogrammed? I did a flash upgrade and now it doesnt work.

Finerd
04-06-2003, 04:36 PM
Some bios chips are removable
you could buy a new one. I don't think they are expensive,
but i wouldn't know where to start looking for one to buy.

Graham L
04-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Won't it even restore the old version?

Dragonslayer
04-06-2003, 06:50 PM
What brand of Mobo is it?

Icarus
04-06-2003, 07:03 PM
Have you tried removing the CMOS battery for a bout an hour and re fitting it. Might reset the mobo to defaults? Dunno :|

Terry Porritt
04-06-2003, 09:55 PM
Sorry to say the most common cause of BIOS flash failure is due to not following the instructions from the BIOS or m/b suppliers site absolutely exactly. Either a wrong binary file is used (most common) or the wrong version of flash program etc.

It is really essential to read up about it before hand and print off the instructions especially where it may tell you what to do if things go wrong and the information about boot block.
It is also essential to copy the existing BIOS to a floppy using the flash program, and before actually flashing the BIOS. That way there is a chance of restoring the original (as Graham asked) if things go wrong.

Just to correct a misapprehension, removing the battery only affects the user setting part of the BIOS ie the CMOS set up, the stuff you see on the screen when you go into the setup.
The rest of the BIOS info ( including by the way, the EPA logo, or a proprietary BIOS screen like HP or Compaq) is written into the chip from the flash binary file, or via an editing program.

So, if the original BIOS file was saved all you can do is to try re-flashing, but you may have to mug up on boot block details. If you dont have an ISA slot that you can put an old video card in, you may be having to type blindly without seeing anything on the screen.