View Full Version : psp capping

heni72847
04-06-2003, 01:31 PM
just out of curiosity
how does isps block or cap psp usage?

Kame
04-06-2003, 02:00 PM
what is PSP?

I know how they limit the bandwidth to 128K on ADSL which most people believe is done at the exchange, although this is not true. The ISP controls this with your Username when it logs in but from there on I don't know if they place you on a pipe that is limited to those speeds only where you are sharing it amongst others or whether it's controlled from where you logged into.

If you mean P2P this would be controlled by the ISP, possibly along the lines of limiting the speed used on particular ports for P2P software, amount of connections being connected to you at one time. You really don't know if your ISP is playing any tricks on you or whether it's just where you are receiving the data from, since it could be their connection, the amount of hops it takes to get to you, etc, could be the downfall in what speed you are getting, National you should expect better speeds than someone on the otherside of the world.

bmason
04-06-2003, 02:05 PM
I assume you mean p2p apps.

Each application uses a different port number to connect on. eg http uses 80.

The ISP can look at the port numbers of any traffic going through their computers and block any going to/from a known p2p port number, eg 6667 for napster (IIRC).

heni72847
05-06-2003, 09:09 PM
so what happen if you change the port?