PDA

View Full Version : How to convert a photo to a digital format to be printed?

nomad
04-06-2003, 10:57 AM
hey,

how do i scan the photo then put as TIF format. i have photoshop version 6. the question really is what resolution do i scan it at?? how large can I enlarge it without losing qualit??

I then take a CD to my photo lab and get it printed out.

would a Canon scan the thin usb powered ones ok?? these do an ok job??

Nomad.

linw
04-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Your scanner should be fine. I would recommend that you visit www.scantips.com for more comprehensive info.

For usage such as printing 4 x 6 size photos and displaying on screen I scan at 150 dpi. If you want a larger image size you should scan at, say, 300 or 600. Scanning at the higher res is much slower and produces big files so it is not a good idea to scan at a higher rate than necessary.

To get a tif file, just use Photoshop to scan the photo (File/Import) and use File/Save As to save it as a tif file.

Have fun!

Mike
05-06-2003, 02:16 PM
> If you want a
> larger image size you should scan at, say, 300 or
> 600. Scanning at the higher res is much slower and
> produces big files so it is not a good idea to scan
> at a higher rate than necessary.

However if you scan at a higher resolution it means you can print on much bigger paper without losing image quality, if that's what you're after.

Mike.

Graham L
05-06-2003, 04:17 PM
If you are going to a commercial operator for the prints, have a talk to them. They will show you what to expect from various resolutions, and may be able to give you advice on how to get best results from their equipment.

metla
05-06-2003, 04:23 PM
a good friend of mine who works at a printers insists nothing less then 300dpi if they are going to be printed in any form.

And I know he himself scans at the highest his gear can give him then scales them down, but thatís with professional gear......

rugila
05-06-2003, 11:21 PM
In my experience there's quite a difference between scanning prints and scanning the original negatives or slides.

It's not entitrely clear which you refer to, although it seems you mean prints.

I have a pretty hi-res scanner (canon 5000F) and if scanning negatives I do this at 600 dpi up to around 2400dpi, depending (among other things) on the whether part or all is to be scanned, also depends on my long-term intentions for that photo.

If you are scanning 6x4 prints there's not much point in going to more than 300dpi, since you just spend time and file space without getting any better actual resolution.

nomad
06-06-2003, 12:24 AM
yes prints. i have no nege's. if i did i of course would scan those. :)

bk T
06-06-2003, 12:40 AM
> ....... scanning prints and scanning the original negatives
> or slides. ....
>

How to scan a negative? The same way as scanning a print? Can it be printed out as a photo using ordinary colour Inject printer?

Cheers

robo
06-06-2003, 08:36 AM
IMHO, scan at the highest resolution the scanner can do. Then check the size of the image against the table on the frogprints.co.nz site to see how big they think you can print it. They are a little conservative but the quality will be top notch if you stick to their size-resolution guide.

Size of the scanned file isn't a biggie if you are putting it on a CD.

If the scanning software doesn't save it as TIF then open it in Photoshop and Save As a tif, which is pretty simple.

robo.

nomad
06-06-2003, 04:32 PM
yes u can scan nege's. w/ a nege scanner or like the larger canon scanners they have a thingee that puts on the glass to scan the nege's.

i think the size of the photo is the normal 6x4 size. i scan at full resol. how big can i print it at? any ideas. thanks for the link, will check it out. :D