PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good Jetstart ISP?

Sulley
03-06-2003, 11:37 PM
Hi there
Currently I'm using Worldnet for my adsl connection, but recently (last 3 months) the quality of its service has deteriorated. That is, I've been experincing slow browsing speed, and poor ping for net gaming (Warcraft III) during night time, but seems to be back to normal after midnight. Anyone else experiencing similar problems?

So here I am looking for a new ISP to provide quality service, good price and other bonuses.

Any recommendations / comments would be much appreciated.
- Thanks

sam m
04-06-2003, 12:00 AM
I read somewhere that the best way to choose an ISP for adsl is to look at your current usage. Using that as a guide choose an ISP that has a capping just above your maximum.
The reason behind this is that some ISP offer 10 / 12 / unlimited gig. Those ISP's would obviously attract heavy users and therefore overload that ISP's bandwith. If you are only using 4 - 5 gig a month then you would suffer as a result of this. If you are a big user then you have no choice but to select an ISP that allows big downloads.
I use Xtra who have a capping of 5gig. My usage is about 2 - 3 gig per month. I play MOHAA regularly and my ping is (on NZ servers) is about 50 - 70ms which is not bad.

sam m

stu140103
04-06-2003, 12:08 AM
I am on quicksilver with a 10 GB oversees cap.
They service is good.

I do not play online games so I do not know, what the pings are like.

Note: some times ISP do have a slow patch, I have just been throw one myself a few months back.

PoWa
04-06-2003, 12:10 AM
Heres a little research I did a while ago, it will help you to make an informed decision :)

JetStart ISP Options (http://dr-mission-series.7p.com/Misc/JetStartISP.txt)

stu140103
04-06-2003, 12:13 AM
> JetStart ISP Options (http://dr-mission-series.7p.com/Misc/JetStartISP.
> xt)

ummm PoWa , that link does not :(
I get this error messege:
Forbidden
Remote Host: [210.55.230.19]

You do not have permission to access http://dr-mission-series.7p.com/Misc/JetStartISP.txt
Data files must be stored on the same site they are linked from.

Thank you for using BizHosting

Chilling_Silently
04-06-2003, 12:39 AM
ICONZ were offering Unlimited National AND International last time I checked for JetStream Starter.

Ihug do unlimited National too :-)

PoWa
04-06-2003, 02:04 AM
Hmm I dunno Stu. Try opening the thing in a new window/tab and see if that works.

I can access it fine. Can anyone else? Hmm maybe I'll make it html. Just put <html> </html> tags in and it will be fine??

whetu
04-06-2003, 02:07 AM
one thumb up for Ihug - Solid, reliable dsl service in my experience.. not the fastest though... my parents have had the same IP for several weeks now, so that's pretty high up there on the dsl-reliability scale.

two thumbs up for Inspire - your IP changes a bit more than on Ihug, but it is faster. (12k on ihug vs 16k on inspire usually) I'm currently using Inspire at my flat.

Both have 10gig international, unlimited national, $34.95 for ISP fees each and both have top notch support.

whetu
04-06-2003, 02:11 AM
I can access it powa.. throwing the html tags around it wont work well.. it'll collapse all the text (the correct word for this evades me at the moment)

PoWa
04-06-2003, 02:30 AM
Link fixed go here (http://dr-mission-series.7p.com/Misc/jetstartisp.htm)

There that should be fixed. I added a few BR and P tags to make it readable :) My limited knowledge of html haha.

Chris
04-06-2003, 09:19 AM
sam,

I'm not so sure about your "choose an ISP with a matching cap" therie...
I have a 10 gig cap with paradise-cable and the thing flys.. One assumes that the same bandwidth would be available with paradise-jetstart??

.Chris

sam m
04-06-2003, 09:43 AM
I'm not saying that this will always be the case.

I am sure at this early stage of adsl that the the theory I proposed (not mine of course I just read it somewhere and it made sense) would not impact a lot of people.
My analogy would be if liking it to a school yard. If you are big then you play with the 'big boys' and take the knocks that go with that, however if you are little and play with the 'big boys then sooner or later you will get hurt. If an ISP offers huge downloads then all the 'big boys' would play there. If changes are introduced by the ISP or if the speed drops to a crawl then you take the knocks as that is the risk. If you are only a small user then it makes no sense to play with the 'big boys' as their problems become your problem.

In your case I would be interested to know how many users are on your 'pipe'. If you had the pipe used to the max would there be restrictions put on by ISP or would there naturally be a degradation in service.
I recall hearing of problems in the US of those on cable where so many users hogging the pipe that fights erupted as a result. I suspect that we are all in the infancy stages of broadband and the real test may not come for a few more years.

sam m

yang11
04-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Im with nznet which in turn with jetstart.net.nz. It used to be ok with local servers(45ms-55ms), playable on aus servers(89-128ms), but in the last few days, I got heaps of spikes, annoying.