PDA

View Full Version : 8 More Friggin' Linux Questions...

cyberchuck
03-06-2003, 07:36 PM
Hey
In my "30 days to convert to linux" journal/diary/messaging/log thingy, I've come across some more problems that I would like to have solved before I fully wipe Windows from my machine. Anyway, the questions are below, but just a quick reminder that I'm on RedHat 9 and could any specific instructions be made in a Linux-For-Dummies kinda way?
Anyway, the questions are:
1 - Font's available. While Linux has a reasonable handful of fonts for use, I would prefer if it had a few more available, mainly for Webpage viewing, Word Processing, and so forth. Could someone point me in the direction of where I can download more fonts, and how to get them installed?
2 - .SWF files... Unforunately Macromedia Flash/Shockwave under Linux isn't working too well. My browser is Mozilla (most likely headding off to Mozilla Firebird shortly) has the plugin installed and running, however, when it comes to playing some .swf files, there are problems. The ones on the Macromedia Website play fine, however, the http://crew.tweakers.net/ link posted a few days back under the thread "for you war mongers and peace lovers" doesn't seem to play properly. It's all sped up, and sounds like the chipmunks are singing. Don't get me wrong, Chip and Dale are funny characters, but they don't cut it for a parodic song...
3 - Gaim File Transfers - is this possible? I would like to be able to transfer files via MSN and ICQ networks, so I assume this would require a plugin of sorts... the question is, do the plugins exist and so forth? (I know how to install plugins! Took me a while, but I finally got there!)
4 - Getting it up - Is there a keyboard shortcut for getting the Main Menu thing up? (this is the start bar like menu - eg: I click on a RedHat and up pops the menu for Programs, Internet, etc)
5 - Show Desektop - is there a keyboard shortcut for this?? Or is there a file to do this?? It doesn't matter either way as a shortcut would do me reasonably fine.
6 - Download Manager - a reccomendation and so forth. I have had a look at GetRight, however that only supports Windows Clients at the moment. I did read that some people have been able to get GetRight working under Wine, so has anybody done this?? or are there reccomendations for different/better programs?
7 - Samba - It's working! (Which is a strange phenomenon!), anyway, I can't seem to access Samba's webbased administration... http://127.0.0.1:90 doesn't seem to work for some reason - am I trying to connect on the wrong port or is it just me?

Thanks in advance for any advice given

CyberChuck

robsonde
03-06-2003, 08:11 PM
can only help with the samba bit......

when I did the samba admin thing (SWAT) it is set up on port 901

JohnD
03-06-2003, 08:19 PM
Some answers that come quickly:

1. You can place your Windows fonts in your home directory in a folder called .fonts. These can then be installed into OpenOffice.

2. Try the keyboard shortcuts from RedHat/Preferences/Keyboard shortcuts. You can set up your own but the default for starting the menu is <Alt> F1. Set up a shortcut here for the desktop switcher too.

John

flyer590
03-06-2003, 10:16 PM
> 6 - Download Manager - a reccomendation and so forth.
> I have had a look at GetRight, however that only
> supports Windows Clients at the moment. I did read
> that some people have been able to get GetRight
> working under Wine, so has anybody done this?? or are
> there reccomendations for different/better programs?

I use KGet - it is a great little download manager for KDE 3.1. It can do all the usual stuff like pause/resume downloads.

stu140103
03-06-2003, 10:32 PM
2 - .SWF files... Unforunately Macromedia
> Flash/Shockwave under Linux isn't working too well.
> My browser is Mozilla (most likely headding off to
> Mozilla Firebird shortly) has the plugin installed
> and running,

have a look at this page: http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/alternates/

Hope this helps :)

Chilling_Silently
03-06-2003, 10:58 PM
For a 'Show Desktop Button' (Added in RH 9 I think.. Just upgraded and I dont remember it being in 8), right-click on your taskbar and choose Add to Panel, its under Utility as 'Show Desktop Button'
!!!!

:-)

bmason
03-06-2003, 11:04 PM
> 4 - Getting it up - Is there a keyboard shortcut for
> getting the Main Menu thing up? (this is the start
> bar like menu - eg: I click on a RedHat and up pops
> the menu for Programs, Internet, etc)

With KDE 3.1 on mandrake you just hit the windows key.

> 5 - Show Desektop - is there a keyboard shortcut for
> this?? Or is there a file to do this?? It doesn't
> matter either way as a shortcut would do me
> reasonably fine.

Not that I know of, but I find I don't need it because of the virtual desktops.

> 6 - Download Manager - a reccomendation and so forth.
> I have had a look at GetRight, however that only
> supports Windows Clients at the moment. I did read
> that some people have been able to get GetRight
> working under Wine, so has anybody done this?? or are
> there reccomendations for different/better programs?

I use kget (comes with KDE3) which works fine. If you want something more powerful, try d4x (downloader for X).

hamstar
04-06-2003, 12:41 AM
There's 192,000 fonts at http://www.acidfonts.com/

unfortunately there are in alphabetical order not theme so you have to browse.

free but the are a few ads

segfault
04-06-2003, 01:42 AM
> 1 - Font's available. While Linux has a reasonable
> handful of fonts for use, I would prefer if it had a
> few more available, mainly for Webpage viewing, Word
> Processing, and so forth. Could someone point me in
> the direction of where I can download more fonts, and
> how to get them installed?

http://www.gnome.org/fonts/

Kame
04-06-2003, 02:18 PM
3. I haven't used GAIM but I've used aMSN for file transfers and the newer version is much better than having to manually enter my IP address in (external ADSL router), I use LICQ but I don't see why there would be a problem with file transfers (although not tested), although I still had to setup pinholes in my router for these things to work.

cyberchuck
04-06-2003, 07:11 PM
Ok..
I currently stand at:
Samba is non-responsive on port 901... I'm not too worried about this though as I can always just edit samba.conf
The keyboard shortcuts were a shocker - can't believe I didn't see them before :O - I mean really! I must be as blind as a bat or something like that not to have picked it up
The Macromedia download came from Macromedia for Mozilla.. I now see why they say that it's unsupported at this point at time.. Not quite working with all versions of Mozilla... Bugger
I haven't looked into Show Desktop yet, however next time I'm in linux I will have a looksie.. I haven't come quite to grips with the virtual desktops yet, however I will most likely just use shortcut keys to get to each desktop at the end of the day and use Desktop 1 for Schoolwork/homework/projects/etc, desktop 2 for fun play and the net, and so forth
Thanks for the tonnes of fonts though - I think I have more in Linux than I do in Windows :p...

CyberChuck

cyberchuck
04-06-2003, 07:16 PM
Oh yeah, and just incase anyone's really interested - Geoff Palmer is doing a "Linux Step by Step" tutorial on PCWorld - an excellent read.

robsonde
04-06-2003, 08:41 PM
as for the SWAT problem, if you read the docs for it you will find that you have to put some stuff in the inetd.conf so that the data on port 901 will be passed to the swat thing.

hope that makes sence, read the docs and have a play , i got it to work in only two gos :-)

Chilling_Silently
04-06-2003, 08:52 PM
Its honestly not hard to edit the smb.conf file :-)

Change your WorkGroup, change it to 'share = public', then add something like:
[Transfer]
public = yes
path = /transfer
read only = no

And you're peachy :-)