PDA

View Full Version : Wake On Lan

sjbryce
03-06-2003, 07:30 PM
Ok guys, wahts the deal with Wake On Lan.. My computer has it but dont know how to use it. What i want to do is make a mp3 server, and put it in ther garage...Can i make it so that i can turn it on and off from my computer using wake on lan......

Dylan
03-06-2003, 07:50 PM
usually in bios

press delete or insert or f1 or some key (it will probally say). i know with my computer its delete (i have award bios)

have a look around but DONT CHANGE ANYTHING YOUR NOT SURE WITH. there should be a option that says wake on lan. set it to enabled.

not sure exactly wht section its under

sjbryce
03-06-2003, 09:25 PM
Hmm so does this make it start from a complete off? or only standby??? How do u turn it on from the other computer??

Dak2
03-06-2003, 10:32 PM
There is more than likely a connector on the m/board as well, this has to be connected to a NIC that has this feature.

Graham L
04-06-2003, 05:26 PM
This is intended for system administrators to update all the computers in a business when the users have gone home. It's no good asking people to leave the computers turned on. :D

You need a motherboard which has the capability. You need a network card with that capability. You need tha cable between the board and the MB, and the option in the BIOS turned on.

Then you need a way to send the "magic packet". :D

The magic packet is something like 6 or more repetitions of the card's MAC code. That's not the IP address (which might be something like "192.168.0.1") but the number hard wired into the card, and looks like "00:08:00:aa:01:9b". Try a Google search using "magic WOL" or "magic Wake Lan" and things like that.

Chilling_Silently
04-06-2003, 06:34 PM
You may be interested in Advanced IP Scanner, from the people at http://www.radmin.com who also make Remote Administrator.

It allows you to send that magic packet AFAIK, but Ive never tested it. All I remember seeing is 'Wake on LAN Send" or something similar :-)
The Client PC's dont need the software installed, only the server :-)